I experimented today on cleaning my speaker grills

Barney Eaton

Getting ready for Plano, I have been cleaning my convertible. For some reason the rear speaker grill cloth was dirty, like an air filter. Maybe the convertible allows more dirt to collect on the grill cloth.

The delimma was how to attack the problem. I popped the top boot so that I could look behind the speakers and that showed that the speaker cover had to come off from the front, so holding my breath, I slipped a plastic putty knife under the bottom and pried.....no problem, came off without fanfair.

Now how to clean them (I have the Flame Red interior) I carefully applied some spray on Woolite carpet cleaner and carefully brushed it with a sponge. Seemed to work so I rinsed with clean water and let dry. The method worked so I did the other side. They are both dry and back on the car looking like new.

I hope this helps other convertible owners that have similar dirty speaker grills.

Barney,

I have sold quite a few of both the grills from the doors and in the rear of coupes from my parts cars and have done almost the same thing, as very often they seem to attract dirt like you mentioned. I have taken them and used some dish soap and a soft sponge and they would come out like new.

The door grills have to be removed by removing the door panel and removing the retaining press nuts from the rear.

I had previously used dishwashing detergent to clean the grill cloth, and achieved good results, but last time I cleaned them I used Oxy-Clean, and it returned the cloth to an absolutely brand-new appearance.