Michigan Gov't Bill to confiscate Cars in the Works

BuickNut

There has been a bill introduced into the Michigan Legislature, S.B.631, that if passed, would allow the state gov't to come in and take your pride and joy vehicle, even if its out of public view (in your garage ???) - if someone posts a complaint and fills out the proper paperwork. Please contact your MI legislature (call 517-373-0170 to find out who is your legislature, this # is the MI Legislatures Gen Info line). This may or may not have already been posted on this forum - but I was given a news article that this is in the works. PLEASE TAKE ACTION ON THIS. If anybody else has knowledge of this bill - please enter into this discussion to give further news of it. shocked.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0

Wherever you live in the US, these type bills are being introduced rapidly. They're tied to EPA pollution credits and fines for non-compliance days (being in the power generation bizness I see this stuff every day).<P>Most state legislatures now have on-line bill tracking in their websites and I suggest to all of you to follow them. Used to be only the nuts in the California legislature introduced mess like this. It's becoming a trend nationwide. Protect your interests and bug your state lawmakers. They listen, especially if votes are involved.<P>Bug your local lawmakers too. They're the ones who throw in restrictive zoning laws (often with no prior warning to the public) that affect your possession of your old car.

i received e-mail on this topic the other day and it is being introduced into the us senate as bill #s.1776. for more info contact peter@aaca.org<BR>it sounds like this is going to be nationwide whereas the gov't will give money to every state to get our vechiles off the road, even though it is written to mean junker cars.

I don't have the details of this bill - but I will look further into it. I also know there have been bills introduced, and passed, in various states - the so called "Junker Bills" that enable the various companies (oil companies I think) to pay for any vehicle you turn in thats over 15-20 yrs old. Its intent is to get all the old smokers off the road. Well, considering that most cars prior to mid-70's are collector cars, and of those, very few are driven on a daily basis - it would seem to me its a waste of money AND effort AND results of what they're the actual well meaning folk who do unwittingly pass it actually get. I think if you look at industry, they are typically the excessive polluters. Despite being a car guy - I'm still and enviourmentalist. But I think the laws being passed are way off the mark both in intent and in results.

From what I have heard from folks that have already send in their concerns over this bill in MI, it will probably die. was started by a Senator in Detroit to clean up the messes, such as furniture, appliances, an other junk including cars. This is a concern though for all seems to be happening all over, and sometimes includes vehicles that may well be in storage or in a garage being worked on! Scary. <A HREF="http://www.sema.org" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sema.org</A> has the most up to date information for across the country with links to sample letters and goverment addresses. RV

I'd like to know more about the wording of this bill. Is there a site to read up on it? It sounds like a nusance(sp) law. If someone is tuning and reving his engine at 2am, then I would complain too. But if you have your car in the garage and aren't bothering anybody, then that's a whole different can of worms. I'm against any legislation that restricts rights of people to enjoy these classics in a "reasonable" way.

I'd like to know what goes on in the heads of these people that propose such legislation and their warped way of thinking. Weren't they taught in school about the values of American freedoms and liberties??The constitutional right of the pursuit of happiness--in our case ,car restoration & preservation. Did they forget their history lessons on how dictators such as Josef Stalin and others of that nature went out & confiscated private property ?<BR>If the first description of this legislation is true then it amounts to the exact same thing !! frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0

Guest Skyking

It's like there isn't enough things going on in this country for them too be worrying about, instead of this nonsense. Do something about the safety of us Americans!