how much is a 73 dart swinger with only 8k miles worth???

Hi all

I just found the group.

My dad is leaving me his 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger with only 7,731 miles!

The car was in storage for 27 years, it has been on the road for the

last 2. But my dad parked it on the street; and because of thet it's

taken 2 dents. and some trim is pealing off, think some kids tried to

pull it off.

Anyways aside from that the cat is mint, I mean the intieror looks

brand new!

I think the car is a slant 6? has factory AC but it doesn't blow cold anymore.

So I was wondering what it's worth?

thanks

Ken

kmn5@yahoo.com

Ken,

Since no Dodge expert has answered you i will try and help. The current NADA appraisal guide has a value of $2600 on the low side and $7200 for a a high quality car. Their average figure is $4775. That being said, it is a guide and the value can be up or down depending on condition, options, color etc. Also, while the book states a value, it comes down to what you are willing to sell it for and what someone is willing to pay for it. It does sound like you should invest some time and money in repairs to reflect the low mileage and interior condition.

Steve, with that car being an old chrysler slant 6, the one thing you can say is that if he chooses to drive it, it'll be a long time before he'd kill it. In upstate NY, most people I knew that had those drove the wheels off of those cars. The only thing that I remember killing those cars was either lack of servicing, or the undercarriage rusted to where it was beyond repair.

The values posted by the other members to your question are accurate. The very fact that you have a rust-free Dart is a rare thing these days! I have owned 3 Plymouth Valiants in my time (same thing as a Dart basically), and all have suffered from the cancer that plagues the make-- rust! I could have driven my '75 forever had the frame not rotted out from under her. The engine would have run forever! The Chrysler slant 6 is one of the most bulletproof engines ever made. If I were you, I would keep your Dart and take care of it rather than selling it.. A good one like yours will only appreciate in value if you take care of it, and it will be a nice conversation piece if nothing else.. my 2 cents' worth..

Agreed. You're not going to get rich off of a Dart, good ones are hard to find, and if there's any sentimental value to it, you should keep the car. Those cars ran forever. Personally I think if Chrysler had any smarts they'd have developed a fuel injected system on that slant 6 rather than develop the V6. I almost think that the old slant 6 was too good of an engine to the point to where maybe they lasted longer than Chrysler wanted them to last, so Chrysler got rid of them.

It may have gone back to the thought of "if it doesn't break soon enough, you can't sell them a new one."

In an ironic twist of fate, a slant 6 is the only engine I've ever killed...If I recall correctly, the oil pressure sender failed and peed all of the oil out onto the highway. I replaced the block with a used one for $250 and drove the old bomb for quite a while afterward, tho...

Other cars I've found to have very tough engines: Fiat X1/9 and Audi Coupe GT.

Really??? Almost everyone that I knew that had a slant 6 had to park them because of the subframes rotting out. The only slant 6 engines that I ever knew that died was due to not changing the oil and/or running the engine out of oil. My first "winter beater" was a '77 D-100 with a slant 6 and a three on the tree. I drove it two winters and sold it for $50 less than I paid for it. The guy that bought it, totalled it.

• 7 months later...

B"H

Ken: I had a beautiful, rust-free '72 Swinger that was in perfect condition mechanically and the interior was also perfect, not a sign of wear anywhere. The body did have a couple of parking lot dings and dents and the roof had rust under the vinyl top (typical for these cars unfortunately). I had recently had the Slant Six head replaced and a valve job done. I sold the car for $3500. and the gentleman that bought it was very happy with it. It did have 75,000 miles but everything was original and in good shape; even the A/C blew ice cold. I always took good care of it and kept it garaged, as did the previous owner. I'm sorry I sold it because I do miss it a lot. All said and done, you should check on E-bay as there are always lots of Swingers for sale, some with very low mileage. My guess is your car is worth around $5,000. but that's a very rough guess. It's probably worth more if it's the LH23 highline model as opposed to the Swinger Special LL23. Many LL23 Slant Sixes were converted to V8s because they are lighter and have less fancy trim inside and out; the original 340 Swingers had the LL trim level.

Good luck...Bill H.

Ken

Keep the car and enjoy it. I have and have had several slant-6 cars. 2 currently a 65 Dart Gt convertible also a 64 270 ragtop. The 65 is on it's 3rd engine. Once you get them out of the rust belt they last longer. I got mine out of N.Y. 20 years ago and outside of a repaint every 6 or 7 years it keeps on trucking. It has won several trophies over the years as well. I cracked the block on the original engine replaced it with what I think was the 190 c.i. block which I grenaded in Ocala about 12 years ago, found an original 65 engine in Florida with only 52K miles, installed it and it is still purring along. It takes alot to kill a slant-6, but it can be done, but you almost have to be trying to do it on purpose. Drive it and enjoy it. If you get rid of it I can absolutely guarantee you will come back into this forum down the road bemoaning the fact that you got rid of it. My $.02 worth.

• 2 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... and if there's any sentimental value to it, you should keep the car. Those cars ran forever. Personally I think if Chrysler had any smarts they'd have developed a fuel injected system on that slant 6 rather than develop the V6. I almost think that the old slant 6 was too good of an engine to the point to where maybe they lasted longer than Chrysler wanted them to last, so Chrysler got rid of them.

</div></div>

Hey # 98 - its about time you posted something I could agree with! grin.gif I heartily concur, and add that many a more knowledgable man than I has held the same opinion - the slanty was just TOO GOOD an engine for Chrysler - you - {like me!} can attest to the fact that the slant six just doesn't die - it is bulletproof as any engine ever built - even the legendary Peugeot XN6 inline hemi four - another unsung hero of longevity... laugh.gif

That being said, I vote you should keep it - its is thrifty to run, maintain and repair, remarkably low hours - and has the bonus of a family connection - I'd bet you'll regret selling it too - especially "further on down the road" tongue.gif