56 Special oil filters

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used a spin on filter mount from a '59 364(I think) on a '56 322. It mounts at an angle to the rear to get the mounting holes to line up. It uses whatever filter was used on the 59. Right now I have Ace PH-7. I have been picking them up at swap meets. It has been on the car for several years with no problems although it doesn't get as much use as I would like.

NAPA and other parts stores have the replacement cartridges for the 56...may have to order...with the original you get the correct pressure and flow, a larger filter than any spin-on and a chance to see what is going on in your engine: the residue in the bottom may show water, metal particles, carbon chuncks, etc. Messy but a better filter and not that much more expensive.<BR>Willie

Jeff, the oil filter adapter you are referring to is "model OFA-1" spin-on oil filter adapter. It fits Buick V-8's from 1953 thru 1958 and is listed for $55.00 plus shipping - you can use filters AC PF24/FRAM PH25 or equivalent. Contact David M. Homstad at E-mail: DHomstad@charter.net. Shipping is 6.00. I got the info off a link: <A HREF="http://webpages.charter.net/dhomstad/OrderFrame1Source1.htm." TARGET=_blank>http://webpages.charter.net/dhomstad/OrderFrame1Source1.htm.</A> <BR>Good luck, hope this helps. Max smile.gif" border="0

Thanks Max, I have all the information on the adapter and the price, what I want to know has anyone installed one on their car and are they happy with it.

A correction to my previous post. I just checked and the filtr is angled toward the FRONT. I used 3 of the 4 holes; the lower rear hole does not get used. Use the gasket for the 59 and up adapter.