Anti sway bar mounting bushings

waltmail

If anyone has replaced the mounting bushings and clamps on the sway bar, is there anything I might need to know before tearing into the chore. I purchased a set of 1.25 " replacements from ESPO. Is it a huge chore or fairly straight forward ? confused.gif

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Walt

You didn't mention the year, but the 1.25" size sounds a little large. I do seem to remember the 88's had a larger bar than my '90, so maybe that is correct. The only other thing I can say is it is straightforward to change them, but you will need the correct bushing shape to fit in the stock location. The bushing sits against a "step" in the crossmember and the clamp has unequal length arms, and the bushing itself is not symetrical either. A conventional style bushing and clamp could probably be used if you fabricate a spacer to fill in the step in the crossmember to give a flat surface. The bushing may be a different style than I described if it is other than a '90.

My stock 88 front bar measures 1.22". That and the delrin bushings are just examples of things in the original that were hit by the bean counters in later years 8*).

Keep in mind that often what is a pain when new is what attracts the collectors in later years.

Guest EDBSO

Is it just me or do others purchase a slightly smaller bushing than the bar diameter?

For example with a 1-1/4 bar I would use a 1-1/8 bushing and reef it down squishing it in place.