Aluminum brake drums

65_wcat

Hi Greg

From what I have learned over the years about the aluminum drums is, They have a steel lining, and once it srarts to seperate from the alum drum they aren't worth diddly. You can have them turned but after a couple of quick stops the insert will seperate, giving you a thump/thump. How these guys can pay those high prices for these rims, and not knowing about the steel linings. To check them, clean the back edge of the drum where the steel liner meets the alum. drum, if you can see any gap between them, or slip a feeler gage between, should think twice about them

Jim Schilf

palbuick@aol.com

Supposedly these drums can in fact be re-lined, but I have no idea who would do it. I sold a set on eBay for about $50 each used off a Riviera - that I paid $10 each for at a pull your part. The Riv was pretty rough, but it would have been nice to have gotten to it before the yard did. I've seen them sell for as much as $100 each there.

If all else fails, the hub is seperate from the drum and you may be able to have them replaced with cast drums for a Pontiac or later Buick which would work fine so long as the inside diameter is about the same.

I have not heard of anyone who can re-line these. The iron liner was cast, and then the aluminum was cast around it.

Max diameter is 12.100 inch, as per spec cast into one that I've got.

The fins came with 45 and 90 fins. 90 fins started in '64 or '65.

The drums were found on full sized buicks through 1970, possibly '71.

The drums can be removed from the hub, but you'll need to heat them up before just pressing the hub out. I've wrecked three drums doing that.

Rodders pay a lot for these drums--look great on early hot rods. I've also found several at the junk yards for $10 each.

If you can't find one that is a direct interchange for yours, swapping the hubs/drums would be a very acceptable solution.

Good luck,

-Brad

Guest COMPACTBC

I have some A-Body (Special/Skylark)finned aluminum front brake drums 4-sale. They are 9½ x 2½ used drums with hubs attached. Prices based on condition (.030 to .050 wear)$35.00 to $23 each + shipping.

I could be wrong, but i don't thin k the A-Body drums will work -- wrong bolt pattern.

I have a real nice pair of aluminum drums off a low-mileage rusted-out 1967 Electra for sale. Nice condition, no broken fins, lots of meat left on the steel liner. No rust separation, which can be an issue. Note: One had a couple broken studs, but I put in correct new studs so they are good to go. I can e-mail you pictures if you want them.

I'm thinking $75 for the pair plus actual shipping by USPS ($15?) is reasonable.

-- Steve

Thanks to all for your responses!

I found out that CARS Inc relines drums. However, they want $225 each. Found an NOS set of front drums on e-bay. Just about the same price. A bit steep, but for the piece of mind when I hit the brake pedal, I figured it was worth it.

Thanks again!

Greg

I shipped a pair of these drums UPS. By the time you pack them up and allow some kind of padding (I used some leftover blue household foam insulation) they're oversize and heavy to boot. Figure $40 minimally, but you can pack and use the UPS website to get an exact quote based on weight, package size, and origin and destination zip codes. $75 is a deal for a pair -

I've found the good old fashioned US Postal Service to be about the most affordable way of shipping things. They don't gripe about weight, box dimensions, and they're easy to get to. Basically, they don't treat you like "brown."

I've found them to be much cheaper. Someone sent me a pair of '69 Skylark drums, backing plates (fully loaded), and spindles for less than $40. I sent a pair of cast iron 12-inch '54 rear drums a couple years ago, and it was under $20. And if memory serves me correctly, they went to the west coast, from Florida!

-Brad

Postal service has the same size limits as UPS, but many post offices are not aware of or ignore them. I used to use a mailboxes etc. type of place to UPS from and even with his profit tacked on the UPS rate he was a better deal on almost anything over 3 lbs. I switched to a big chain store (Staples) and get the same rates as I get on the UPS quote website - which was a $20 difference on one antique radio I shipped a while back. UPS includes insurance and tracking at no extra charge, and in most cases is about the same speed as Priority Mail. So long as the size is reasonable, the cost is - as the size increases, the billable weight increases. Supposedly other shippers are cheaper still (FedEx, etc.) but I have not tried them yet.

A pair of these drums with decent packing is over 50 lbs - aluminum or not, with the hubs intact they are not light. I can't remember now the exact charge, but I do know that cross country from say NY to California would easily run $50. The postal service now uses the same zone system, so their rate increases with distance as well.

Result is these are the only kind of drums I would mess with shipping anywhere.

Incedentally, were these available on the rear of any Buick model, or exclusive to the front? the set I sold came off a Riviera with mid-70's inspection stickers in it, and the rears were regular iron (after I spent a bunch of time getting a wheel off the back to see them).

Every pair I've ever seen is off the front--iron rears as you've described.

On the mail, you're right, Priority is always more expensive. When I've sent stuff by the post office, they always quote me the Priority price, and then I ask them for the "slow boat" rate, which is cheaper. It can take up to nine days to get it, but when I'm on the paying end, I don't mind waiting a few days extra for the thing to come. Then again, I'm a cheap son of a gun! grin.gif

-Brad

• 1 month later...

are you still looking for the 65 brake drums. are they steel, aluminum and if aluminum are they 45 fin or 90 fin drums. i have a set of 90 here and there are a set of 45 in a bone yard outside of town here. just to let you know on ebay they are getting 180 to 210 for the 45 fin but the 90 are the same ones just must be diff in some cooling feture. i have 90's on my 65 cat