opinion on what next

we just got our 55 back from the shop a couple of days ago and now we will begin thinking about what order to do the rest in. We have the major things working well now ( dynaflow, brakes, radiator,water pump, starter ) but still have a long way to go. We are not bent on having it looking perfect or getting it to show, just in having a well maintained Roadmaster. So, the question is - do the interior first ( door panels , flooring etc..) or continue on with the other engine/running stuff ( electrical etc..) ? I know this is very general and it sounds like a real broad range but we just don't want to get it all a** backwards as far as what needs to be torn out to do what. Like I said, it is running better than it has in several years ( no trip to Europe for us - money goes into the car now ) and since we dont know about the way things need to be done I would like the opinion of the group. Thanks.<BR>John&Lee

Sounds like you are on your way.<P>I always do mechanical first, body then electrical,and finally interior.<P>This way you can crawl around and not make a mess of the new interior when running new electrical or painting.<P>You can also work on the engine without messing up a new paint job.<P>My 2 cents..

Bill ~ I have always preferred to get all of the mechanical completed before doing the paint and upholstery.<P>From experience I have heard the following:<P>From the trimmer, "Get all of the paint work done first and then I will do the trimming. I will not hurt the paint."<P>From the painter, "Get all of the upholstery and top [if a convert] work done first and then I will paint it. I don't want any trimmer messing up my paint job. I can paint a car without getting anything on the upholstery."<P>Now if you believe any of that you are in trouble, because in most cases neither of them can do what they boast.<P>Personally I prefer the trim work last because I think it is easer tp fix damaged paint than damaged upholstery. But that is just my opinion. I could br wrong. ~ hvs

Without question---do all mechanical and electrical 1st.Then clean and detail engine compartment. Then interior trim, then paint (with chrome and bumpers removed and plating being done while paiting). If you have a Roadmaster and need exact duplicate upholstery---contact Chuck at SMS Auto Fabrics 1-503-234-1175 (Portland,Oregon).They manufacture dead replica upholstery and if it is a 76R,will redo your curved door panels to like new condition. They are expensive but very, very good. I just got my 76R back from the upholstery shop and the interior is absolutely beautiful---it looks brand new and also is authentic.

No mater how well I've seen them mask off an interior, I've never seen them do it well enough to keep body filler dust out. Even if there isn't any on your car, it's being used on the one next to yours in the shop.<BR>Also, if the interior and glass isn't in the car, they can do a much better job painting it--in the window channels, door jambs, etc. When you do the electrical, you'll have to pull up the carpet in a lot of areas to run the wires to the back of the car. Also, whether your interior is in or not, always take the extra 20 minutes to remove the front seat when doing electrical work--that way you can lay flat on the floor, instead of practicing your yoga and contortionist practice.<BR>Finally, if the mechanical is done, you can drive it anywhere. If the electrical is done, you don't have to worry about anything shorting out or causing a fire while getting there. If the paint is done, you look good driving in. If the interior is still in rough shape, you can throw a blanket over the seats and still enjoy the car and tell everyone at the shows "the interior is the last thing to do." Best of all, if the whim for a picknick or trip to the beach hits, you've already go the blanket handy.<BR>-Brad<BR>Oh yes, if you didn't convert to a dual reservoir master cylinder, you should. It's a lot safer, and generally a bolt-in deal. Call Master Power Brakes and get one. I speak from experiance.

I believe we have a series 70 Roadmaster, thanks for the upholstery tip - well the tips in general. Took it out today and had a bit of a squeak to the brakes ( had them done already ) will check that out. Also, noticed a slight sputter to the acceleration. Not sure if that is a fuel problem or a trans. problem. It isn't every time I accelerate, only sometimes. Guess I'll have to narrow it down and talk to our mechanic. We are missing the inside front drivers door panel if anyone happens to have one laying around...The upholstery really isn't too bad. Almost passable. We are the third owner with a sit time of about 12 years that we know of. What a beautiful thing - to be driving such an automobile.