Gas tank restoration

Charles2

Has anyone on this forum had experience with Moyer's Fuel Tank Renu in Pensylvania? If so, I would apprecaiate your opinion of their work, prices and service. I am considering shipping my pinhole ridden 1940 Special tank to them for restoration. Their process sounds good. Any information would be much appreciated.

I just got my Amphicar gas tank done by them this winter. They did a fine job. They took it apart and drilled access plugs and rewelded where necessary since my tank had baffles. It is guaranteed for life. I think it was around $200. The bigger the tank the more $.

They also put a coating on the outside which I elected not to have put on as you can see my tank when the trunk lid is opened and wanted it painted nice and smooth. I would recommend that since you have holes that you have the outside coating installed as they might not warrent it? My tank was in fairly good shape except some rusting inside. Whatever they use for the coating inside seems 100% better then any gas sealer products I have ever seen. Good luck.

I called Joe at Moyer's earlier this week about my 36 buick. Has a one inch hole at bottom corner but remainder of tank appears to be solid. I wanted it original without cutting tank up to repair. When they sandblast it is my understanding a hole of some size is made to blast. I advised that there is alot of corrugation on tank and do not want to lose. Also they brush on a rubber type coating on outside of tank which cannot be painted. Joe told me to note on order form to advise I wanted to talk to them before work begun. I do not have sending unit out and expect I will not ship for at least 2-3 weeks. Would appreciate your adivisng of your experience with them including cost and turnaround time. Could e-mail at cookr-ne@oge.com. Thanks and good luck.

Rod

I had my 40 gas tank redone about 3 years ago, thru the Gas tank Renu co. I took it to a company in Rockford Ill. This auto repair co. was a dealer for the Gas Tank Renuit co.

I cried when it when returned , then I started to threaten everyone with Bodily harm. They had cut two long srtips out of the bottom of the tank,2" X 7". to get into to sandblast tank inside. Then brazed up hole and covered with a black coating. All this work was done by someone whose brain was fried on pot or a drunken monkey. and the charge was 190.00. After a lot of hollering I got hold of owner and after threatening a law suit, he showed up within 10 minutes and wrote me a refund check, then had all the coating removed. The tank was so bad I had to find another, Finding a good tank for a 40 buick ain't easy.

If you send a tank to have resealed look at their work first, ask if anyome has used the company before.

A good idea would be take some pictures before sending off .

Another idea is to demmand that if tank has to be opened only open the top of tank, this part is not seen when installed.

Jim Schilf

palbuick@aol.com

I had the tank on my 56 Super done this past summer at my local Gas Tan renu dealer. My tank was leaking, plus I had managed to crush it badly one time. I brought them the tank and I asked them in detail what they would do to repair and seal it. Of course, I asked them to only cut it on the top side, and to make sure the filler neck was in the correct location/ orientation. Then they asked me if I wanted the smooth silver finish or the black undercoated style finish.

One week and $300.00 later , that tank looked perfect. Back in the car, I finally gloated that I'd be able to fill-er up after close to 15 years. In went the gas and it leaked. Took it back out and right back, where they sloshed the gas around and found the rivits holding the new sending unit together were weeping gas. They epoxied over the rivits and it's been perfect.

This is probably some of the best money I spent on my car!