I need to know what kind this is?

JohanSirhan

I was recently given a photo album that my deceased grandmother put together of my deceased grandfathers career in the gas station business. There are a lot of great pictures from the 40's through the 70's but there is one pic that caught my eye because my car knowledge doesn't go back in history as far as needed to identify what kind it is. Can you take a look? Pic

Bob, I'd love to agree with ya, but the styling could be deceptive. Stevens Duryea was one of the most conservative carmakers, stylistically and mechanically, they were one of the last to use the progressive shift linkage until at least 1920 I think,it was already obsolete by 1908, the same holds true for right hand drive. Wouldn't the Budd wires indicate a later date unless they were added later?

The wire wheels are the the main reason I think this is a 1913 Stevens. I know of two cars with wire wheels a 1908 and a 1913. I don't know when the wheels we installed but both cars have been photographed since they were touring in the 1950's. If you do a Google Image search this car turns up restored, red and sporting a thin front bumper.

The station was located at 4501 N. Clark St Chicago, IL. It started out as a Standard then became the Sunnyside Clark. I believe the building is still there but it is no longer a gas station. He got fed up with the snow in 68 and moved to Orlando and opened a station there until he retired. I just started an MSNgroup that I will be posting a lot of the old pics from my grandfather's scrapbook. I only have a few of them on there now. Feel free to stop in for a fill up on nostalgia. Ole' s gas station

Yea. thats my Grandpops and I am sorry that it wasn't his car. I don't know the whole story behind it but I am sure it was a good one. I also love that pic of the grease pit. I am having it blown up and framed to hang in my home. I think it is a work of art even if it didn't have my grandfather in it. Almost Rockwellian.