air in 64 riviera using "Vintage Air"

has anyone had experience using "vintage Air" saw two finished conversions on the net. looked pretty good. my 64 is mint and hate to gaff anything. confused.gif

I have had good luck using them in cars I have built. They are the best aftermarket A/C around. Order their catalog and you will learn alot.

There will be some modifications that will need to be made though, so if you want a totally stock car, you wont have it.

Have you thought about junkyard shopping for the components for yours ?

Paul, I have mixed feelings on this subject. My wife was quite concerned about heat and humidity we were likely to encounter on the road to Flint for last summer's Buick Centennial. I wanted to drive the '59 Electra, which was among the 90% of '59 Buicks that was not built with factory A/C.

A few individuals have retrofitted original factory A/C units to the '59 Buicks, but it is -- by all accounts -- a mammoth task, and there were evidently more than two hundred unique parts and pieces for the A/C-equipped cars.

I called several Vintage Air dealers and installers, and learned that the installation would be expensive -- in the $2,500 range. I found one individual who was both a dealer and an installer. I felt that this was a plus, believing that I was less likely to encounter a problem with ordering the wrong unit and having to try to exchange it later if it did not fit my application. His price seemed somewhat more reasonable than the others, and he appeared to be very credible with good references.

Ultimately, concerns for my wife's comfort took priority, so I proceeded with the project. The installation was very professionally done both under the hood and in the interior. The unit itself resides behind the passenger side of the dashboard, and the most noticeable of the three A/C vents can be detached and removed for car shows. It was very important to me that the installation not "ruin" the car or compromise its originality any more than necessary.

What we found, however, is that the area available for installing the units in a '59 Buick was very tight, and it precluded use of Vintage Air's Super Cooler. We were compelled to use another of Vintage Air's models that does not cool quite as effectively as the Super Cooler. The installer indicated that many of the earlier cars, like those of the late '40's and early '50's, actually have greater room available behind the dashboards and can more readily accommodate the Super Cooler.

We were disappointed to learn that the system simply didn't do the job in a car with the interior volume and extensive glass of the '59 Buick. When we became really warm, we turned off the A/C and opened the Buick's vent windows and underdash vents, and we found that this was far more effective than the A/C system. In preparation for the coming summer season, I will have another dealer check out the system and ensure that it is functioning properly. Based on my experience to date, however, I have regrets about having done this installation. Given the expense of the system and the compromised originality of the car, the gains achieved in passenger comfort were simply not worth the trade-off.

At a minimum, I would confirm with a Vintage Air dealer/installer that the area available to accommodate the system in your Riviera is large enough to install the company's most powerful unit.

Paul,

I can come at your question from a couple of directions. I once installed factory A/C in a 1961 Electra 225 convert. The special parts were many, and included different sending unit in the tank, different fuel pump, etc. But it was very satisfying to have it evacuated, no leaks, and charged, to the excitement of cool air. My point being, you can install a factory unit.

I also own a 64 Riv, and it has factory air. The process is probably the same for factory installation for it. I have, however, changed the heater core in my 64. That was done the long way, to pull the core inward, requiring removing much of the passenger side lower dash and console. I found while doing that, that the A/C evaporator unit is inside the car, below the glove box. As you probably know, the engine compartment on such Rivs is extremely crowded, and they couldn't find room for the Evap. out there.

Do non-A/C Rivs still have the vent outlets on the dash? If so, you're jumps ahead of what I had to do for my 61.

Just a suggestion. If you accept the challenge of factory air, probably the only way to keep it looking original, change the heater core while you're there.

Dale