American Motors web site??

Guest imported_MrEarl

Lamar, I believe that the site is based in Sweden or possibly Denmark. As you may be aware, there is tremendous collector interest in vintage American cars in the Scandinavian countries (especially Sweden) and in Australia.

People elsewhere in the world have recognized that no one else built cars like the Americans did in the 1950's and 1960's. Many models that are not highly-valued in the American marketplace are highly-prized overseas. While so many Americans are oriented toward mid-1950's Chevrolets and the early Ford Mustangs, overseas buyers appreciate the design and quality of Buicks, Cadillacs and the big-finned Chrysler products of the 1950's. These cars are highly affordable to affluent overseas buyers, as are the four-door and wagon models that are usually overlooked by American buyers seeking only convertibles or two-door hardtops. At one point back in the mid-1980's, I heard that the port of Long Beach, California was shipping more than 200 vintage American autos per month to Sweden.

My friend, Rolf Astrom, who immigrated to the U.S. from Sweden, is aware of at least three 1959 Buicks, for example, in a small Swedish town situated far north of the Arctic Circle.

Since I do not read the Scandinavian languages, it is not clear to me whether the site includes autos that are still in the U.S. that are available to ship overseas. I would not be surprised, however, if all the cars shown are already in Scandinavia and readily accessible to the new fans of American cars.

Guest imported_MrEarl

So Idle,why don't you become their USA sales rep. Let me know the story on the 48 Roadmaster convertible, 49 Roadmaster Riviera and the 1950 Super convertible if you do. wink.gif

Anybody know where any of these cars are in the US. Especially the 49 Roadmaster and the 50 Super?

The exchange rates for $ and skr are in small letters below the price. As many cars have been advertised for a long time, the exchange rate varies between 7.75 to 10 kr for a USD. Today the rate is 7.40 kr for a $.

I decided to import a car from USA three years ago. I had to pay 10.40 kr for a dollar at that time. The car, a Buick 32-87 can be seen on the AACA Photo Pages. I bought the car only on description and photos. I decided to do that because the seller was director in one of the BCA chapters. The seller was honest but unfortunately not technical. The car had problems he did not know about. However, he sent me all the motor part I needed and now it is running fine.

Jan

Centurion is highly correct regarding the prevalence of American vehciles in European countries. There are more there than many suspect, from what I've seen. Some were assembled over there too, either in plants or from "knock down chassis" kits. GM had some kind of assembly plant in Belgium in the 1960s too.

In the later 1980s, the Mopar club I'm involved with was having their annual car show event. One of our officers got a call from a gentleman from Sweden that was in the area, wanting to know about the show and where and when it was. He did come to the show with several of his friends from Sweden. What they did was buy American cars, import them to Sweden, do a full restoration AND convert them to right hand drive. When done, they are probably better than when they were new and still left hand drive. He had pictures of the converted instrument panel and it was flawless in detail and finish. They were proficient with metal work so they could make "mirror images" of sorts for the metal stampings of the instrument panel. The later model plastic instrument panels were easier to do, they said. Still, quite a bit of work and obviously the resale price of the restored "Euro" model made it financially worthwhile. They were also buying some Dodge pickups to take over there too.

I'm not sure if most of the Buicks over there are left hand drive or not, but this particular group of Swedes changed everything over in their restoration process. I also recall several articles in "The Bugle", over the years, on European Buicks and also British Buicks. From my casual observation, other than Chevrolet, Buick seemed to be the "export" division of General Motors. In one of Pat Brooks' recent articles on his "trail" experiences, he even found a pretty nice Buick in a place you would not have ever expected to find a Buick.

Considering the added duty taxes for a European citizen to purchase a new American made vehicle, plus other costs of getting it there, the basic stateside cost of the vehicle would be doubled (or more!). I recall an article in a "1963 Ford Buyer's Guide" on how exclusive it was to own a new 1963 Thunderbird in Switzerland (the country used in the particular article) and how well the heater worked in the cold winter compared to other European vehicles of the time. Back then, not that many European cars were quite as comfort oriented as USA products were or performed quite as well as a larger American V-8 did.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Most cars, produced and imported to Sweden, had the wheel to the left although we were driving on the left side of the road until 1968 I think this was the case for all the Nordic countries and Germany. After 1968 we are driving on the right side of the road as in most other countries except England, Japan and a few other.

There was no regulation on the position of the wheel but most British cars imported to Sweden had the wheel to the left. Only privately imported British cars had the wheel to the right.

Jan

I remember an article about Sweden's switch-over to driving on the right side of the road. It appeared in the "Weekly Reader" that we read in our elementary school classes, and I was thinking that this occurred in about 1962 when I was in the 3rd grade.

Regarding assembly of Buick kits in Belgium, there was a beautiful green '58 Century 2-door Riviera displayed in Flint that had been assembled in Belgium. This was one of two '58's shipped from The Netherlands to New Jersey, then driven to Flint. (The other was a '58 Caballero wagon that the Dutch buyer had located in Colorado or New Mexico.) I've also heard of a '59 LeSabre sedan in England that was built in Belgium and had a factory-installed sunroof.