Interesting Article

Peter Gariepy

Personally Peter, I can't imagine anyone buying or ordering a new car without first getting in it and driving it around the block. I love the driving results you read in AutoWeek each week. With a weekly mag like their's, at least the info is early and current. I like the sound of the new Caddy with the Corvette drivetrain, but I'd certainly want a test drive before spending that kind of money. Wayne

Guest imported_PackardV8

The automobile is a psycho-sexual phenomenon of the last 100 years or so. Such a phenomenon UNmatched by any and all dilusions combined of history. The average brown-paper-bagger has no concept of what a good car IS or IS-not let alone the ability to drive one even for a week and make a decision. Consequently, i have been convinced for years that one could slightly modify a Yugo with a 3-pointed star on the hood, get some movie star to pose with it on the front of People magazine or even Forbes, price it at $40K-$90K AND LOW AND BEHOLD every hot-shot would have to have one on a home equity loan.

Witness such cars as the Cadillac Cimmaron of the late 70's-early 80's, the K-car 'New Yonkers' of the same period, the 70's era Audi among several others. SO, whats the point for the average work-a-day brown-paper-bagger to go out and beat the pavement to buy a car??? Prior to the i'net beating the pavement was about the only way other than maybe a few magazines viz-viz jokers like Tom Mcahill????

On a personal note: it always amazes me to see so many MB's, BMw's, SUV's, full decker 4wd pic-ups and so many other $40k-$80K vehicles out on the road during the work-a-day rush hour crowd traffic. I mean will someone explain to me the logic or the method of madness in someone driving a $40K++ vehicle to and from a $30K/year job?????? Kind'a like wearing a tuxedo to mow the lawn or something?

In that vain, why not study car purchases solely over the I'net or even People magazine for that matter.

PackardV8 - you have a very good point. What we are seeing is a social pathology based on a country with huge reserves and generally a very high standard of living. Plenty does not bring on a frugality of spirit but lends people to over-indulge on a regular basis. The more that is available the more people want, even though they cannot support the expense or need it. This society is showing every ear mark of decline that others have demonstrated throughout history with the lack of self-discipline. Self-indulgance is a serious problem which is seen generally everywhere you look. A country of an ever growing obesity health problem shows it in other ways as you describe. This is nothing new really but I am surprized that it is ignored so easily.

Perhaps it is inevitable. To be honest, is there any reason I should have two Cadillacs as well as a working truck? One should be enough. I have no answers, I wish that I did. But you make a good point.

As always this is just my opinion....take it for what it is worth.

I bought my Nissan truck by sending out inquries to local dealers through either cars.com or Auto-Trader.com. I sent out a list of required specifications/equipment and asked for information and offers. I bought the truck from the only local dealer (among 3) to respond with specifics about what he had in stock, what he could order/find before a 0.9% financing offer expired, and how much he wanted for the trucks. It saved days of truck shopping. cool.gif

Two other dealers reponded with their name and phone number only. I guess they get too many poseurs online. frown.gif

Peter,

The car shows are a money maker for the organizations that promote them. AACA has an antique car display and Mustang raffle car sales booth at the Harrisburg Auto Show each year. On Saturday the Corvette Club has a show of 50 plus vehicles in one area of the complex. Literally hundreds of people of all ages come through the farm complex to look at the cars, sit in them, and dream about owning one. I have no idea how many sales the show generates; but it sure does feed the public's love affair with the automobile. The internet can't possibly generate the same interest that these shows do.

jnp