Need help with trans installation question.

Got a remanufactured trans for my 1990 from Accurate. It's not a 4T60 that it came from. The reman company (Accurate) gave me a 440RB. The 440RB looks exactly like the 4T60 from the outside but I am having problems getting the halfshafts back into the trans. The right side is started but seems to have bottomed out 2 inches from where it's suposed to seat. The left side seems to have the same problem. I'm wondering if there is a technique to the installation or if the 440RB has different splines than the original axel or maybe the splines are keyed and clocked and I just don't have the axels lined up correctly? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

I cannot help you with your question, but if you call them, ask another question...what is the final drive ratio. On just Buicks in the '88-'90 period they offered the following final ratios 2:73, 2:84, 2:97, 3:06, 3:33

The Reatta used 2:97 for all three years. In 1991 and the new electronic transmission, the 3:33 gears were used.

I think the 3:06 or 3:33 would be a good upgrade. Here is the output for each gear set... 2:97 = 673 rev per mile at 2000 RPM

3:06 = 653 (at 2000)

3:33 = 600 (at 2000)

I got the left side in with a couple of whacks on the back rubber cover of the cv joint. Used a mahogany 1"x2" stick and a 5lb sledge. I still can't get the right side cv joint into the trans. Any one ever inserted one of these and had a problem? The male portion of the cv wobles around and will not insert all the way.

Unfortunately, I cannot help with the spline size or count on the transaxle. I looked at Barney's figures for the tire rpm vs engine rpm and there is one clarification that needs to be made. The tire revolutions per mile are constant, at about 775 for the stock 215/65-15 tire. The tire revolutions per minute are what changes for a change in gear ratio. More tire revolutions per minute with the numerically lower ratio, or less engine speed for the same road speed.

Guest Greg Ross

As Harry suggests, it sounds as though the Splines are different. Ran into this with swapping from from the Auto to the Manual but on the outer end of the Half Shaft. Had to break down and mix and match to make up a half Shaft. Seems you should be going back to the rebuilder for the correct Tranny?

My .02 Cents worth.

Thanks for keeping me honest Hal..... you are correct, the revolutions per mile will not change with different final drive ratios. Where I said revolutions per mile that should be RPM, and the better way of explaining it would be showing the engine RPM with each drive ration at 60 MPH.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I just wanted to tell how I solved the problem. I ended up taking the axel out and I found that the c-clip that acts as a detent on the end of the shaft had been pushed over the splines and had lodged in a shallow grove on the back side of the splines (wrong place to be) and was preventing the axel shaft from being inserted fully. I'm glad I didn't try to force the shaft in. I am almost finished with the trans except for one more problem. I forgot to take the oil cooler connection fittings off the core trans when I sent it in. Turns out that one of those standard fittings isn't a ball check valve and without it the warantee is void so now I am waiting for the part from the dealer. The Teves brake swap to normal vacuum assist was a bugger but everything fit and it seems to work well. I need to test it on the road though.