cleanin carbs

Okay, I have two q-jets to create a frankenjet of sorts. I'd much appreciate tips on cleaning rust, carbon, paint, etc. from parts. The only thing that's come really clean with the B-9 I have is the 7 sets of secondary hangers and rods. I've tried Gumout spray without luck except for a mess which takes a week to dry. smirk.gif The parts are literally to big to fit into the B-9 can I have. It's the standard gallon paint can size. Also tips for removing minor surface rust from a manifold would be much appreciated. ;-)<P>Much Thanks!<P>-Scott

Scott<BR>A local machine shop let me soak my parts in their tank they use for soaking aluminum heads etc which is the same as carb cleaner (cresylic acid based). I bagged all of my parts in screen wire mesh so they would not get lost..let them soak overnight water rinsed a little more when I got them home and blew them dry with compressed air.<BR>Willie

Scott, I guess you received the carb OK? I owe you 25 cents refund on the shipping, but it'll take 34 cents to get it there! You can soak the carb in pieces by pouring your gallon of cleaner into a pan of some sort (just make sure it isn't your wife's favorite, you won't want to cook in it again!) You can also use a large coffee can. Each piece should be covered if soaked independently. I've run into the same problem. Good luck!

Thanks Guys -n- Gals!<P>I'll try the vinegar tonight, maybe pickup a few bottles at 99cent store. Does the "come out looking like new" apply to everything or just rust? (looking to put a big smile here) What about cleanup, err removing the vineger?<P>Willie, know any "nice-n-friendly" shops like that in SoCal? Not many ppl 'round here letcha use their tank w/o $$$.<P>Mike, yep got it a few days ago. Was all ready to hit the post office and to my surprise it's on the porch! I went to Walmart one night and got a 13x2(or 3) baking pan just for this as the pans in this house are few and far between. It's not deep enough for the parts so I've been using it as a drop pan. Large coffee can, now that I could muster up from the coffee freak in the other room. wink.gif" border="0 By chance would ya know the part #'s for the two vac pulloffs that sposed to be on that plate? Napa guy only shows one and it's wrong wrong wrong... <sigh> p.s. a penny saved is a penny earned, fork over the quater. hahahahaha (i'm kidding here)<P>Would using vinegar on a cloth to rub down the manifold hurt anything, and or even work for that matter? What about cleanup? When I saw the white stuff on the intake I thought I'd be real smart and take a damp cloth and wipe it down before I prime it. Stupid idiot I was indeed! Hence the surface rust on the thing. If I could of I'd of kicked my own @$$ for that mistake. mad.gif" border="0<P>Thanks Again Everyone!<P>-Scott

Just an update with a couple questions here. I used a coffee can along with a gallon size jug of distilled vinegar to make a tank of sorts. Due to continous throttle plate problems I stuck the middle section (fuel bowl?) in primary side first. Left it sit a couple days came back to a white gooey style mess with white stuff sittin on exposed part of the carb (growing?). I took the garden hose to it and certain parts of it came out looking nice and metal like, it did take some of the carbon off but it also took off the goldish paint(?) that it's colored. Is that bad or is it just paint? Also, could the vinegar dip cause errosion type spots?<P>I like the vinegar idea as it's extremely cheap and non-toxic, but I don't want to damage anything either.<P>Much Oblige!<P>-Scott

Take this for what it's worth: Vinegar is an acid. I've found just the opposite with vinegar: When I want to "weather" hardware for pictures or to hang up my vintage gas station and soda signs, I soak brand new fasteners in a pan of vinegar, and it eats off the flash chrome and etches the bolts. Knocks the shine right off, and makes them look "right" with the vintage signs. Never tried it on cast iron or anything, but I know acid does clean metal, too. Maybe you;ve got to neutralize and seal it quickly.<BR>For soaking the carb, or any other big-ish object, I've found something wonderful--a restaraunt supply house! Look in the phone book and call. Ask if they sell used stuff. I've gotten a couple of stainless steel steam table pans that are 8x12x4 inches deep, and several "sheet pans" or "bun pans." these are like 18 x 30 or something, and make great drip pans, etc. The sheet pans were $3 each, while the steam table pans were more. But get them used.<BR>The place I went also had a toilet bowl brush with a wood handle and twisted steel wire body, which makes the best block/head/steering box/diff scrubber ever. <BR>Boy, use your wife's toilet bowl brush to scrub/degrease parts once and you'd think you taped over your wedding video again...