Bits and Pieces

Guest dantm4

Guest imported_dantm4

[color:\\"blue\\"] Having just received my grandfather's buick reatta a couple of months ago I've been an avid reader of your discussion group to try to learn about my "new" car. I love it! Having said that, I'm having some problems that I was hoping some of you might be able to help with.

The first problem is that the left turn signal sticks. One of my friends suggested I would have to take the steering wheel off and "fiddle" around with it to get it to work. That's not necessarily a major problem, just an annoyance, but in tandem with that the parking lights on the left side stay on constantly with the keys in the ignition. I don't know if these are two separate problems or related. Was wondering if it could be a relay somewhere possibly, at least for the lights that are on.

The second problem is a whirring sound when accelerating. This is the first automatic car I've ever driven beyond friends and rentals, and was wondering if the trans. fluid might need to be changed or something. It sounds louder when turning so I thought it might be the power steering belt/fluid also, but grandpa replaced the belts.

I have been getting horrible gas mileage (sub 20's), but my other car is a Corolla, so maybe it's just wishful thinking. In reading posts though it seems like most people get between 25-30 average, and most of my driving isn't really start stop and is above 45mph. Changing the air filter seems to have helped, but was wondering if there were any more suggestions.

Well thank you in advance for responding, any help is appreciated. BTW, I know everyone loves their reatta's, but my grandfather felt it was time to move up - to a Porshe.

1990 Black/Tan Coupe

Dan Springer

Cincinnati, OH

Guest wally888

When was Tranny fluid and filter changed? Dirty filter makes whirring noise.

Be sure to take brake tests at site below and flush system if not done recently.

Guest imported_dantm4

I don't know if it's ever been changed. I was under the impression that my grandfather took really good care of the car, but I think some things were overlooked. Thanks, I'll look into replacing the filter and fluid. Seems like that would make sense regarding the gas mileage too.

-Dan

Guest wally888

My opinion!

3 things are very important for every Reatta owner.

1. Buy a FSM

2. Learn to use the self diagnostics and to retrieve codes from ALDL

3. Flush and test the brakes - CRITICAL!

Poor fuel mileage is most commonly caused by a failing O2 sensor, although other things can cause that problem. If the transaxle is making strange noises, changing the fluid may help, and is a good place to start. Unlikely a trans. problem will cause poor mileage but if it is slipping, or does not lockup the torque converter, it is possible.

Can download the 89 FSM (for 88-89) or 90 (for 90-91) from www.reatta.net. No excuses.

Sub-20 mpg is not unusual is a lot of short, stop and go driving where car never gets completely warmed up, wife often gets 18-19 and have seen as low as 15-16 with a lot of a/c on idling. 3800 is a relatively large engine compared to many subcompacts (of course I had a 5 litre V-8 in mine but that doesn't count). Some claim 30+ mpg but I average about 25 mpg at Interstate cruise and consider that within reason & about 19-20 mpg for mostly town driving. Difference between 25 mpg and 30 for 250 miles is about $2.

Of course I burn about a tank a month so am not really concerned.

O2 sensors should be changed with spark plugs IMNSHO, they last about as long as a set of RapidFires. Check the air filter at the same time.

Do not go by the dash MPG readings particularly if an 88 - check by gallons at fillup.

If unknown, first give it a major tuneup including Stant SuperStat (low hysteresis)180F thermostat - should exceed 146F coolant temp within 2 miles of startup.

Need to optimise/know conditions before complaining about MPG.

My '88 went from mid-20's to mid-teens MPG after I had the harmonic balancer changed this Spring. I was certain the mechanic had done something wrong, so

I took it back for computer analyzation, checking O2 sensor, etc., but they couldn't find anything. Another mechanic suggested I give it a good dose of injector cleaner with a fresh tank of gas. IT WORKED!

Now, if I can figure out why it goes in and out of O/D at highway speed w/o provocation, I believe I'll see 28-31mpg (like the '89) instead of 24-26.

(It got just a hair under 28 when I drove it home from Boston to central Ohio

summer of 2000 at 144K.)

Tom, the Reattaman smile.gifI love these cars!

'88 Red/Tan/Red 157K

'89 Claret/Tan/Claret 47K

'91 White/Flame Red/Black 103K

turn signals...... if you move the lever to the right turn position, does the left side go out?

When you say it is sticking.. when you turn left, it will not cancel? Will the lever stay in the center position?

Answer these questions and maybe we can help

Have both Bosch and AC and being single wire, they do not seem much different.

Pretty good deal on Bosch here. I consider a new O2 sensor part of a tuneup.

Popping in and out of TCC this time of year is often a stuck open thermostat (drops out of Closed Loop and TCC below 146F coolant temp). Another reason can be an erratic TPS (TCC drops out when TPS is below about .45v) or O2 sensor (kicks out of closed loop which drops TCC again). Just my quick thoughts.

Guest imported_dantm4

The left turn signal will not cancel when you turn left. It will cancel when you turn right. It will also cancel if you move the lever back manually but won't do it automatically when you turn. I don't know if it also means anything but the turn signal sounds work (the clicking you hear when the turn signal is on and you're waiting to turn).

Not being familiar with this car I'm trying to learn all I can about it's mechanics, so I'm studying the forum, and checking out the FSM on reatta.net (among other things) Thank you all for your help.

-Dan

Sounds like you have a broken ear on the turn signal switch. This is a roughly circular plastic assembly that fits around the steering column under the steering wheel. When you move the turn signal lever to signal a turn an ear moves out and touches the steering column. As you turn the wheel about 45 degrees the ear drops into a cavity in the column and when you straighten the wheel out, the ear is pushed back, cancelling the signal. This is the same basic system that has been used for at least fifty years.

Since the right signal is cancelling properly, the most common cause is a broken left turn ear.

The turn signal switch is item 9 in the attachment. (page 6-53 in the 93 P&I downloadable from www.reatta.net - hint)