Performance upgrades

What's up everyone? I'm a new member to your site and a proud owner of a 89 Reatta. I'm a 19 year old and just starting the GM-ASEP program at my local community college. I got my reatta about a month ago w/ 143K miles on it and I'm wondering what kind of upgrades everyone has done to "Rita"'s sisters. Just looking for ideas(you know how us teenagers are!) cool.gif

Dan E. Boi

Jacksonville, FL

89 Buick Reatta

Well, as you scour the internet for aftermarket performance parts, your'e going to find that there is basically NOTHING available for these cars. The guys that have had any signifigant performance gains are the few guys who have either custom turbo-ed or supercharged their vehicles. Custom = time and money. I'm also a younger Reatta owner, and man, I have got neither time nor money. If you're geunuinely interested in spending those two valuable assets tricking out your Reatta, speak with padgett, GM Ross, and 2seater. They're some of the biggest technical gurus when it comes to the Reatta. Good Luck!

Welcome to the Forum! Like all automobile clubs, discussion groups, etc., their very survival depends upon young people becoming interested and participating. You'll find knowledgable people and great resources on this site.

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span> smile.gif

Guest wally888

Upgrade the performance of your brakes! See site below-Test the system and completely flush. As MS would say, "A critical update!"

I think it was Hal that posted some pictures of the right bank (firewall side) exhaust header, showing a bad restriction where the outlet to the converter is attached. I have not looked at mine but this looks like a chance for an easy improvement in the exhaust IF you can get to it from underneath without taking off the header.

The picture showed a shot into the outlet and it looked like they had just made some cross cuts in the header and welded the outlet to the header. lots of extra metal in the flow path.

The late model headers are much improved but I have been told they cannot be used on the Reatta heads.

I wish I could take credit for the photo, but that would be Padgett. I did make that observation and suggestion a few years ago and have done two of them since. It would be extremely difficult to remove that restriction from under the car. Removing the header would be the best way, and it is not extremely difficult to remove if you remove the fan assembly for the heater. Be careful to rotate the tube for the transaxle fill out of the way but do not remove it, or you will have a large mess from the spilled fluid. It's also a snap to replace the O2 sensor at the same time. grin.gif One other thing, welcome to the family!

Dan; You could try a CAI, a number of us have fabricated one.

AC Delco Rapid Fires #3 are popular with a good set of premium wires. Use #13s if you use Padget's coil upgrade.

Do a search for the $20 20 hp resistor. Just took mine out as I couldn't find the horses.

Guest Greg Ross

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> speak with padgett, GM Ross, and 2seater. They're some of the biggest technical gurus when it comes to the Reatta </div></div>

Guru No. 2 here, welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. Hope you've managed to have acquired a Reatta that was well looked after by it's previous Owner(s) Take the Brake Test recommendation seriously. Lack of periodic flushing of this vital hydraulic system is likely the most worrisome issue with the '88 to '90 models.

Performance, hmmmm, start off restoring what she came with;

plugs and wires as EBDSO suggests,

a premium Fuel System treatment,

K & N filter/ CAI set-up,

clean the IAC and the MAF

Greg

Guest Reatta1

Welcome to the 'cult'. Us old farts enjoy seeing youngsters taking an interest in this truly remarkable vehicle. It ain't no rocket but there sure isn't anything else like it on the road. grin.gif

Am looking for someone with the time and energy to learn the Motorola 68HC11 processor. Have many PROM dumps and partial commented disassemblies but lack the time to do it properly.

Everything necessary for dumpling/erasing/programming the PROMs can be had for under $200 and blanks are just a junkyard away.

Have quite a bit of information on the ECM & very little on the BCM but is obvious I am not going to find time in the near future to do it properly.

Next time I am home will (fer sure this time) put together a CD of everything.

Guest Greg Ross

Alf,

Tell Jerry I took it as a compliment to see he used my "Patented" oriface in the Spoiler routine on the black eBay Vert.

GM wink.gif

A tip o' the hat to GM for his sage advice and keen idea. Just gotta remember not to pop the trunk when the antenna's up! (For a look at what we're talking about, go to:

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...bayphotohosting

and check out the bottom righthand photo.)

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span> grin.gif

P.S. Tom O'Leary from Bakersfield just picked up the other spoiler I had and will be installing it on one of his Reattas. We did a template on how it mounted and where the "GMRoss Hole" goes.