Fires in California claim a true antique

Marc Futterman

A contact on an Olds board put it this way about life in Southern California. "If we ain't shakin' we're burnin'." The fire was only a couple miles from his home this morning. Don't know if he's had to leave yet, it was going away from him, but the Santa Ana winds can change everything.

As good as life is, I sometimes wonder if there's anywhere on Earth to live without Nature trying to destroy what you've worked for. Here we have to deal with hurricanes and ice storms, but those don't compare to fire. Fire takes everything.

Keep the folks in Cali in your thoughts and prayers. They need them.

Living smack in the middle of the fire area I had to decide to take the wife or the Buick...man I'll miss her! D'OH!

Seriously, it is a bad situation out here...now the winds have shifted back to normal and the smoke is laying everywhere...it's like being at a campfire on the smoke side and not being able to walk away. They are sending folks home from work because the air handling systems cannot handle the stress from the smoke and ash...ack...

I had already decided the Jeep would burn and my Buick would be parked at Qualcomm in the huge parking lot away from the flames and heat. We could sleep in the Buick seats!! Luckily the fire swept east of us before it turned south. We have friends who lost homes and friends who have homes still, while a street away there are no more homes...it's a bad scene out here right now and it's not over yet.

The worst part is now if it rains we're set for alot of mudslides! The trifecta! Shake, Burn, and Slide! I guess you have to pay something for trying to bend nature to suite people...this just seems extreme.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in this area.

Guest COMPACTBC

BCA Board member,Dick Sweeney, lives in Alpine,San Diego County, CA which he & his wife had to evacuate along with his Rivieras yesterday. His two sons helped him with the cars and he does not know the fate of his home as of yesterday. One of his sons just purchased a very nice home that is in the fire area and the fate of that home is questionable. The San Diego area fires are still burning out of any control with no containment in sight. So far there are 15 dead and close to 600 homes destroyed in the San Diego County area. frown.gif

Guest John Chapman

Report from the Front:

My wife and I live in the Tierrasanta area of San Diego and were given five minutes to comply with a manditory evacuation notice on Sunday afternoon. I knew we were at some risk, but until we had a chance to see how close the fire was (1/4 mile) and that it took five houses with it, I had no idea how much risk. These fires move at a speed that is difficult to grasp if not witnessed. I was forced to leave the Buick in the garage, opting to take our cat and valuable family items. Five minutes isn't a long time!

We're fortunate in that we only have ash and dust to deal with. I'm afraid there'll be a lot of old cars lost when the dust finally clears.

Cheers,

JMC

Guest Shaffer

I have been watching the California fires here on the news. I think it is just terrible what is happening out there. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be knowing that you were going to lose your home and not be able to do anything about it. Hopefully no people or animals will be harmed from the fires. I was sorry to see on the news tonight that there has been one fatality, when a lady was trying to save her horses. I have a friend at work that just completely lost her home to a fire a few days ago (not from any wildfires - cause still unknown) and I have seen how upset she has been. I would say it would be even more difficult for people losing not only their entire home, but their entire neighborhood. We are praying for good rains for you folks out there in California and pray for your safety. Take care.

When something this bad is happening to people there are no words to make it better. All I can offer are my thoughts and prayers, take care.

Dick Sweeney here! The fire has come and gone and we are SAFE! The house and cars are fine - we are just tired! No power, we are operating off a generator and we do have phone lines now. Ash is all over but that is the least that we had to worry about. Sun. AM I was on Patrol and dispached to an intersection that led to BIG HOMES. I was to keep traffic out and make safe passage for those that lived in those homes to leave. Most of the home owners gathered at the intersection and watched their homes just explode with the high heat. The fire was getting close so I had the people leave and shortly thereafter the flames were about 100 ft. away. I was gone! An hour later my wife called and said it was our turn.Went home and started moving cars. We made it - many didnt. San Diego PD alone had 23 Officers and civilian employees loose their homes!Dont have the numbers for the Sheriffs Dept. Lost 1 fire fighter and many injured.Thank you for all your thoughts and Prayers - Dick Sweeney BCA - BOD

Great to hear from Dick and that his family and house was spared. Watching the news is bad enough. Being there must be unbelievable. We can only hope for rain and they gain control and put out the fires.