Cleaning years of built up film on windows

Greg Sealock

When I was in the auto glass business we used a mix of non-sudsy ammonia (10%), wood or rubbing alcohol (10%) and water (80%) for glass cleaning. But, over the years, windshields will accumulate many thousands of fine scratches and sand pits that resemble a film or haze. A lot of this is due to the soft, easily scratched, surface of safety plate glass. The only way to get rid of this is to polish the windshield with very fine abrasives. I believe that Eastwood sells a windshield polishing kit for this purpose. Fortunately, the scratch haze is more-or-less confined to the outside of the glass. So, if the "film" appears to be on the inside, try the ammonia/alcohol mix (keep it off the paint). If it seems to be on the outside, try polishing according to the directions in the kit.

first step, use "softscrub", that liquid squirt paste

we use in our bathrooms, with water and a sponge.

rinse it, then windex and 40 steelwool,keep the wool really wet, it will not

hurt your glass at all, believe me! use a razor blade during the windex step for stubborn spots, rinse and dry.

buff the glass with polishing compound, and finish wax it.

you can get it pretty nice.

there is no worry about any harsh solvents

flowing onto your paint with this method.

I remember seeing some of the local windowtint guys use a pad of "white" Scotchbrite to prepare the inside glass surface prior to the windowtint film application process. It was used with just light pressure. I don't know if it was used to "clean" the surface or lightly "etch" the surface for better adhesion of the tint film's adhesive. I believe the "white" Scotchbrite is similar to 1000+ grit and used for polishing situations plus you can find it in the kitchen cleaning section of local grocery stores (just do NOT use the other side of the pad if it's paired with a more agressive and different colored surface scouring pad! use ONLY the white side if it is!!)

What I discovered a few years ago on the outside of the glass is that using the "Polymer Formula" Rain-X Glass Cleaner (not the same as the yellow bottle Rain-X treatment, which would be put on after the cleaner is used), repeated applications made the outside glass surface noticeably slicker, more shiney, and clearer with each application. Not sure what's in it, but it worked that way for me on a windshield that had seen many hundred thousands of miles of use. There seems to be enough grit in the atmosphere that it will put small pits (which can be seen in bright light) on the outside of the glass, especially when you figure in the car + wind speed.

These repeated applications would not substitute for new glass or possibily the polishing process, but it was an inprovement. Following with a final polishing using a wrinkled up newspaper might help things too (a "secrets of the showcars" deal I picked up a good while back; the ink in the paper helps polish the glass, it seems).

The new Windex wipes (or other similar cleaning wipes) usually have enough wetness in them that you could first use them and immediately follow up with the white Scotchbrite or the steel wool and use that combination strategy. If the film inside is from atmospheric sources, it should come off with a little work. If it's from nicotine, it might take longer but will probably yield a very well preserved surface of glass (from seeing what it does to preserve interior chrome pieces).

The other thing might be that if the glass is laminated safety glass, the visible haze might be the plastic laminate itself hazing from age. Only fix for that would be some new glass with the correct/appropriate date codes applied to it.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest COMPACTBC

Greg, There is a product called "TING" that can be found only in better auto paint & supply stores. It is made by a company called Detro, 3455A W Reno Ave. Las Vegas, NV 89118. It is used to prepare surfaces for painting in the auto body business and I have found it to be a non-abrasive, excellent cleaner for glass as well, it removes wax, grease, road film, tar, & rust, by chemical action that easily is washed away with water. Also the best everyday glass cleaner that I have found is a product called INVISIBLE GLASS, available in most good auto parts stores. cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Meguiars Mirror Glaze Swirl Free Polish works really well, especially if your windows have a lot of hard water spotting. I thought my outside mirrors were shot, but this stuff made them look like new, so went ahead & did all the windows. No scratching or other problems - you don't even have to do the razor blade thing.

I take mine to the local auto glass shop who uses some sort of compound and a angle type drill with a pad. They come out like new and then using many of the products mentioned above will stay looking new for years. They can do it with the windows on or off the vehicle (better off). The compound makes a little bit of a mess on your car but washes off fairly easy. Cost for front and rear windows and six pieces of flat glass inside and out will range from $80 to $110. This compound will also remove light scratches.