Headlight retaining rings

Guest Jim Piro

Guest Jim Piro

Just removed the painted door of the left headlight for paint shade identification. While I was there, I took of the plastic cover (to clean, re-black, etc)and noticed that two of the clips that hold in the headlight had broken away from the frame-the two top clips.

With that in mind, I took off the right side black plastic cover and found another clip (top) had seperated from the frame.

The tack weld in all three cases had let go.

I plan to drill all eight spots and install stainless nuts and bolts to hold the clips to the frames. This should last another 15 years!

Maybe other people should check these retaining rings.

Hi Jim,

I was away from home from mid Tuesday until late Saturday night. I bought a green '91 in Oklahoma. There are two styles of headlight retaining rings for Reattas. I am going to check and see if I have both styles and will send you an email.

Jim

You should be able to have them re-spot welded at any local weld shop. Only takes a couple of minutes and they will be as good, or better, than new, if they give them a double weld. Another possibility is a good body shop. I have done two different places on mine (I have a spot welder), one retainer clip, one where the ring itself is welded together.

Guest Jim Piro

After you trim the screw to the level of the nut, you have more than enough room to get the mounting screws in.

Replaced seven welds with seven screws and nuts + lockwashers.

Drilled for the eightth but coulnn't find it. I think the weld on the 8th tab will hold.

All went back together fine.

Regards from "how many blinks are in a bulb".