Question about "Show condition"

I've got a beautiful 65 Riviera. Completely original except paint, with all receipts, and 49M miles on car. Interior looks brand new.<P>QUESTION: for a car show, is it better to keep it as original as possible? Or better if it has been frame-up restored?

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Well it's the age old question. Anybody that can afford to restore a car, can. As well as buy one that is already restored.<P>It is harder to find an original car, that is still in good shape. I would think that an original car is more desirable.<P>It is all up to what YOU wnat and enjoy.<P>I personaly have one of each.<P>Scott

From the perspective of the BCA 400 point judging system, if you have repainted the entire car, then you pretty much have changed your judging category from "archival" to a regular class. Archival class places value on original, unrestored cars.<P>In the regular classes, you would still be judged on authenticity, but also on condition and workmanship, and the more restoration, the better.<P>So, you're going to do more restoration work, possibly including frame-off, the question is whether you restore to original specs or modify for newer comfort and reliability. That's where your personal preferences come into play. There is no right or wrong. Although some people have strong opinions, it's your car.<P>If you plan to enter a lot of car shows, then do the most extensive restoration you can afford, to original specs.

An interesting question on the topic if I may. What about Pertronix setups? Are they deductions for an original car?<P>As much as I dislike the specific color of mine and the vinyl top, I'm one of those original types.<P>I agree tho with YellowLark and Scott, it's your ride, it's your choice. Not to mention, your money. :-)<P>-S

Guest Skyking

YellowLark, I have to disagree with you on the Archival award. I was sitting with a couple at the banquet during the last national who owned I believe a 67 Buick LeSabra that was all original but repainted and he won an Archival award. He said he also freshened up his engine compartment alittle....How do you figure that? I'm sure the judges new it was a repaint!

Guest sintid58

JOE YOU SAW MY 58 AT GALENA IS THIS SOMETHING THAT COULD DO WELL IN THE ARCHIVAL CLASS IF LEFT ALONE. (MAY CHANGE MY MIND ABOUT PUTTING IN A/C IF IT WILL)

SkyKing,<P>The archival award car you mention probably took the maximum deduction for the new paint, and still had 350 points, which qualified it for the award. <P>However, I think most BCA judges will agree that it should not have been in archival class, as the original finish is one of the most valuable aspects of a factory-original car. I'm sure this case will be a topic of discussion in next year's judging classes.<BR>The archival judging rules are still the major area of judges' confusion, in my opinion. <P>The Pertronix is a good improvement, but will cost judging points. It is not a specifically-allowed safety item and certainly isn't authentic.<p>[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: YellowLark ]

Before you start a frame off restoration on your Riviera. If the Riviera is in good shape and is a nice car, it will be to your favor to leave it alone and buy another Riviera in need of total restoration and do a frame up on it. <BR>It will cost the same amount of money to restore a running original car and to restore a car in need of everything. I am strictly speaking about a proper full frame up restoration in which you redo everything regardless of condition or operation. <BR>You are in the LA area, please email me at steveclassic@earthlink.net and I'll put you through to the LA chapter Buick Club of America. they will be better able to look at your car and evaluate it for you. <BR>I personally love original cars, fully restored cars and own a few of each. I also like some modifieds if done properly.

I agree with FireballV8. You can only restore a car once, so leave it alone as long as it looks "ok". But I admit that if I was in your position I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off the car. I'm just glad my Riviera wasn't that perfect when I bought it.<P>Tomsriv<BR>71 Riv

Thanks for all of the insightful replies. This particular car is worth leaving alone in my opinion. The only thing that has been done, except for the paint, is mufflers, rebuilt carb, and a radiator flush. Hell, I think it still has the original interior light bulbs!

Guest LeSabre Nut

Since you are talking about paint here's one: I have an 89 LeSabre T-Type. Everything is original. Never been painted etc. There are currently two areas on near the left rear wheel well where the paint is bubbled and needs to be repaired. My question is what would this do as far as entering the car in the Archival class? I'm just getting started with showing cars and would appreciate any help. Thanks.<p>[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: LeSabre Nut ]

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

LeSabre Nut,<P>I think the rule for archival restoration, such as repainting panels is as long as 25% of the panel is still original, it is still considered original.<P>I'm not exactly sure on the percentage, but I'm pretty sure it is 25%.<P>But what that means is that if you re-paint the entire panel, then there is a deduction.<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88