Strange brake problem in Louisville

Barney Eaton

A Reatta owner in Louisville has contacted me about his 1990 brakes. He purchased a convertible in Flint and it has some strange symptoms. Wally, Padgett, and others, what do you think. Also if there are any owners in the Louisville area that might like to take a look, I can put you in contact with him. He is a Reatta division member.

From his notes to me, he says "the pedal is soft at top and hard at the bottom",

"in traffic, at a light, the pump motor will turn on every 23 seconds"

"normally only the ABS light is on"

Now the strange part. I ask him to check the fluid drop in the resevoir. He says there is no change in the fluid level.

My first thought is there is somehow a blockage to the accumulator, not allowing it to accumulate.

This is one you almost need to be there to believe.

That "on every 23 seconds" at a light and "soft on top, hard on bottom" certainly sounds like a leaking master cyl seal (the "hard bottom" is when the pistons make physical contact).

Perhaps a candidate for a Prior rebuild.

If stored for quite a while, it might heal with use (within a day or two). Does happen occasionally. Then again unless already replaced it certainly needs an accumulator - is something that seems age rather than use related.

ABS (amber) light only on means pressure is OK but ABS has detected a fault and has turned off. Better get that fixed quickly (dump code and see what is going on).

Guest wally888

No change in fluid level! If the pump runs and is moving the correct amount of fluid and if accumulator stays full of fluid (ruptured) then the pump should run a very few seconds-no place for fluid to go! How long does it run?

As P. says maybe an internal leak.

I think giving the car the tests would provide answers however I would seek codes at ALDL 1st. and solve the yellow light, then proceed. If no codes I would switch relays (replacing both preferred).

Codes, relays, tests.