roof/rain channel repair

WillBilly53

okay this is a bear.

as i'm trying to repair the hole in the roof, near the front windshield, i discovered MANY holes and rust in the area and the rain channel. i first started removing the bondo that was there and found out that much of the rain channel in that area was basically ALL bondo. so i've cut out this area. all though when i was simply trying to get to bare metal with the 3M stripper wheel, i didn't have to do much cutting, it just came apart. there's also the area where the windows roll up into. that's all rusted pretty badly.

my question is should i take my car to a body shop and pay for them to repair this? or could i repair this myself? i bought some of those steel strips from Lowes and had the "bright" idea of trying to fabricate these parts myself. but i'm just not satisfied. i worried it's gonna look like crap. and i want it done right, but the flipside (as always) is i don't want to spend a fortune to have this done especially if i can do it myself.

i hope this post makes sense.

any help, tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A few more suggestions.

Replace the whole roof from a parts car or cut sections from the parts car. If sections are used from a parts car it does not need to be the same make or model, just similar curve pattern. Or fabricate from scratch by pounding out the shape on a large sand bag.

good luck

Willie