wiper arm removal

WillBilly53

The wiper arm is serrated and just pushes on the round serrated piece coming from the drive unit. They make tool that hooks under the back of the arm to take the pressure off the spring,but you can just push on the front of the arm,where the blade hooks, and lift the back of the arm and it should come right off.

• 14 years later...

I was puzzled by the same situation today trying to get the windshield wiper burr removed. Its really a splined shaft on the outside and a press fit on the inside to the shaft.  There must be a burr on the edge of the shaft that holds the spline adapter in place.  Its misleading how to disassembled because there is an 8-32  internal thread also.  I found the disassembly process described in the 1952 manual and the special tool J 2682 tool intended for this purpose ... also came across this post. 

I happened to have a sink faucet puller tool from a previous job that worked perfect and didn't need the J 2682 tool. The tip was small enough to insert into the 8-32 internal thread.  You can get them for $10 at Home Depot.  Here are some photos. They both came right off.

PC036851.JPG

PC036853.JPG

PC026848-001.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2