54 Special oil change

larryabbott

Hi, I see where the canister filter is located.  Any tips for removal/replacement?  I read that there is a spring at the top?  Do you fill the canister with oil before installation?  I'm assuming that the canister is loosened by the nut at the bottom.  Does it then unscrew or just drop down?  I don't have a lift and plan to do the deed with car on ramps.  Thanks for any suggestions.  Larry Abbott

I did this with the car on jack stands.  Oil will start coming out soon after you start to loosen the bolt, so have a large drain pan ready in place. You can't pre-fill the housing as there is a hole in the bottom that the retaining rod goes through.  Make sure you get the old gasket out and install the new gasket before fitting the cartridge and housing and tightening it all up.  The housing will fill once you start the engine.

Clean the inside of the housing while you have it out, I had some hard deposits in mine.

Mark

You can fill the canister with oil, just be careful with the mounting bolt.  Makes for a more gentle first start by getting oil pressure up fast like it normally does.  Mark's advice above is all good.

15 minutes ago, Fr. Buick said:

You can fill the canister with oil, just be careful with the mounting bolt.  Makes for a more gentle first start by getting oil pressure up fast like it normally does.  Mark's advice above is all good.

Good to know, I will try that next time.

Be VERY careful to be sure that gasket is in the properly seated in the correct position, you would be amazed how big a mess you can make in just a minute or so if the gasket is not properly seated. 

• Like 1