can i change out my RX-O brassbowl carburetor for somthing better ?

Andreas1924

hey everyone, ive been looking for a new carb for my 27 chevy AA and i stumbeld upon these pictures, dose anyone know what carbs these are, or maybe have any suggestions to a carb that would fit on my chevy so i can get out and running again while the carb is getting rebuild ? 

461179092_1576076936329403_4676285753912430673_n.jpg

461222982_468782739644420_818368105065634082_n.jpg

Upper pic appears to be a Ford/Holley “94” or similar V8 Ford carb, and the lower is a Tillotson Model A carb.  Either the Zenith or Tillotson stock Model A carbs would be a size increase over your ‘ol brass bowl, widely available, and maybe even bolt directly to a stock ‘28 chebby intake manifold

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PharisMetals said:

Upper pic appears to be a Ford/Holley “94” or similar V8 Ford carb, and the lower is a Tillotson Model A carb.  Either the Zenith or Tillotson stock Model A carbs would be a size increase over your ‘ol brass bowl, widely available, and maybe even bolt directly to a stock ‘28 chebby intake manifold

thank you so much. So a normal zenith for a model A can be fittet and ajusted to make my 27 chevy 2,8L run nicely? 

I’ve had many RX-Os run perfectly fine for me. Are you running the metal intake flex hose from the exhaust air can so your intake air is heated? If not your fuel will not atomize correctly and your intake will ice up. I’ve seen more complaints about the carbs on ‘27-‘28’s being because the metal flex hose was not being run from the exhaust can/air cleaner assembly than the carbs actually having issues. Electric fuel pumps on these cars are also another problem unless you have a regulator set at 3-3.5 psi. Vacuum leaks at the steward fuel pump can be another issue. These engines run incredibly well as they were designed with the stock components but each component has to be in its operational capacity.

• Like 2

The venturi on the Chevrolet carb is 0.719 inch.

The venturi on the Ford carb is 0.835 inch.

The Ford carb will flow approximately 35 percent more air than the Chevy carb.

The Chevrolet engine is 171 CID, and is rated at 2000 RPM.

The Ford engine is 200 CID, and is rated at 2200 RPM.

The Ford engine is 17 percent larger than the Chevrolet engine.

The original Zenith or the modern replacement Zenith would probably work on the Chevy, but would probably be sluggish.

I would suggest either having a professional (check with Chip Sweet in Texas or Skip Geear in Oregon) rework your original, or look for an aftermarket internally smaller than the Ford A.

Jon

• Like 2