V8 engine 1953 to 1956 identification

I have a 1952 Buick roadmaster that someone put in a V8 in. 1952 was the last year it came with a straight 8, so this is not the engine that came in the car. Trying to figure what year the engine is.  The heads have a number of 1165549 cast in them, so from what I know that is years53 to 56, displacement 322/264. Number cast in to the block 1165165 from what I know years 53 to 56, displacement 322. 

Not sure how this post thing should work but here goes. I've restored a 1938 Chevy Coupe and the gas line tap is on the bottom of the tank. I believe the old fuel systems were gravity feed and the mechanical fuel pumps are siphon feed. The replacement tanks have a pick up tube that goes to the top of the replacement tank. I don't believe the mechanical fuel pumps are meant to lift fuel to the top of the tank. Most tanks have a plug on the bottom of the tank and that seems to be where the fuel should be drawn from. Does any one agree with my thinking. I also have a 1952 Buick Roadmaster that I am working on and believe the same things apply to it. From the old auto manuals I've seen this seems to be the case.  Thanks Benny 

Once the fuel line is full it won't make any difference. There were gravity feed systems, notably Ford Model A with its cowl mounted tank and Model T with the tank under the front seat. But they were rare. Most cars, before fuel pumps, had vacuum tanks under the hood. They used engine vacuum to draw the fuel up from the rear mounted tank.

One hell of a segue from the main topic.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Benny Stubenrauch said:

I have a 1952 Buick roadmaster that someone put in a V8 in. 1952 was the last year it came with a straight 8, so this is not the engine that came in the car. Trying to figure what year the engine is.  The heads have a number of 1165549 cast in them, so from what I know that is years53 to 56, displacement 322/264. Number cast in to the block 1165165 from what I know years 53 to 56, displacement 322. 

Have a photo of the car and/or data plate on the cowl?

https://www.buickheritagealliance.org/index.php/restoration/engines/straight_8

Buick employed Straight-8 engines in all models from 1931 through 1952 and in the Specials in 1953 when the nailhead V-8 was introduced in the Super and Roadmaster models.  These engines were rugged and established Buick's lasting reputation for engines which produce gobs of low-end torque.  Torque became a design imperative which guided Buick engineers ever after.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V8_engine

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/index.php#engine_ident

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Benny, it appears that these are your first 2 posts since you joined the forum in April. You are very welcome to post and ask old car related questions and you will get lots of informed replies and answers from your fellow forum members

A word of advice:  it is best to keep each post thread centered on a single topic. In this thread you started, there are 2 topics. 1) 1953-1956 Buick V8 engines and 2) fuel systems. It would best to have 2 separate threads for each question/topic. That will maximize your replies/answers to your questions and will keep the thread focused to your topic, otherwise it will go all over the place (of course, threads frequently go down rabbit holes here). Doing so will also keep the forum moderators happy. Good luck!

• Like 1