Why isn’t your daily driver a stick shift?

mrcvs

On 9/22/2024 at 6:08 AM, Hans1965 said:

My commute to work takes 40 min. Never thought about that being inconvenient with a stick shift car.

40 minutes of driving with 10 to 20 stop lights is not an issue. 40 minutes on a good day turning into 2 hours of stop and go, as in stop, go one car length, stop wait, go one car length repeat for 30 miles..... That is a knee workout!😮

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Df824 said:

I lived in Los Angeles so it’s not manual friendly.  I’m moving to San Diego and I’m considering an integra stick

SD may not be that much better than LA. The traffic congestion is down there too. Maybe not as bad as LA, but still not manual transmission friendly either

I've had company fleet vehicles for nearly 3 decades, so don't get to pick the transmission...or the vehicle.

But my 'daily' is the '06 Mustang. I'm hoping it will be my newest car, as I don't like a single thing made after 2015. The Mustang is a manual.

I drove manual trucks until I started towing car trailers. The slushbox made life much easier, and made me a convert. Sort of.

The last multiple vehicles we had that were stick shift were really difficult to sell when we were done with them:  Ford Focus, Jeep Patriot, Subaru Forester.

My Falcon is an automatic but I've not ruled out a T-5 conversion as the C4 doesn't exactly provide spunky performance. Depends on my ambition level going forward.

Mine is a stick but don't do the daily driving anymore. If I had to drive in stop and go traffic everyday with my bad left foot/ankle it would be an automatic. 

• Like 1

I drove the daily driver three-on-the-tree Cutlass wagon to Hershey and back today, about 2 hrs each way. Car ran great and Hershey was a blast (though tiring) as usual. I suspect I'll be sore in the morning.