Want To Buy :: Carter AFB 4-bbl. for 1968 440cid engine :: UPDATE 10/16/2024

The 1968 Carter 4640 carburetor is installed and the car is running in the shop. It's being tweaked carefully, then we'll move onto the loud exhaust problem. 

A 1968 Carter AVS 4640s has been acquired and is currently being refurbished/rebuilt by a carburetor genius that has refurbished three other carbs for my humble collection. Thank you, my friends on the wire. I love this forum. 

Application is a 1968 Imperial Crown with a very fussy Holley carburetor. Converting to a Carter AFB for their reliability (my '66 Charger always starts without any drama). A capacity of around 850 CFM has been recommended.

Advice on this conversion is welcome . . . 

What to expect with fuel line and linkage changes?

Will my stock air cleaner fit on the Carter? 

Edited by OldChargerGuy
update information (see edit history)

The only Carter AFB that was 850 CFM was the "trapdoor" 3636s. These require a special intake manifold, and a LARGE pile of portraits of Ben Franklin in green frames. Should you decide you cannot live without one, contact me; however:

If you wish to convert to a Carter, why not a later TQ, complete with intake and air cleaner. 

More power, more fuel economy, better reliability as long as the dude who rebuilds it for you knows there are 10 screws, not 8, which hold the carburetor together ;) 

And if you get the complete package, EVERYTHING fits plus it already has a MoPar calibration!!!

Other than the aforementioned 3636s, the largest Carter AFB was a 750 CFM; there are a number of these.

Jon

52 minutes ago, carbking said:

The only Carter AFB that was 850 CFM was the "trapdoor" 3636s. These require a special intake manifold, and a LARGE pile of portraits of Ben Franklin in green frames. Should you decide you cannot live without one, contact me; however:

If you wish to convert to a Carter, why not a later TQ, complete with intake and air cleaner. 

More power, more fuel economy, better reliability as long as the dude who rebuilds it for you knows there are 10 screws, not 8, which hold the carburetor together ;) 

And if you get the complete package, EVERYTHING fits plus it already has a MoPar calibration!!!

Other than the aforementioned 3636s, the largest Carter AFB was a 750 CFM; there are a number of these.

Jon

Thank you, Jon.

The word I'm getting from the Imperial website is that a Carter AVS 4429s will do well. A member has installed one on his Imperial (440cid) with pleasing results. 

Sorry, I don't even know what a TQ is; but I value the original appearance of an antique car. The original air cleaner must stay. 

You got a 4429s available?

20240512_135721.jpg

2 hours ago, OldChargerGuy said:

Thank you, Jon.

The word I'm getting from the Imperial website is that a Carter AVS 4429s will do well. A member has installed one on his Imperial (440cid) with pleasing results. 

Sorry, I don't even know what a TQ is; but I value the original appearance of an antique car. The original air cleaner must stay. 

You got a 4429s available?

20240512_135721.jpg

TQ is Thermoquad.

• OldChargerGuy changed the title to Want To Buy :: Carter AFB 4-bbl. for 1968 440cid engine :: UPDATE 10/16/2024