1947 Super Sedanet - broken push rod

Hans1965

Just had a wonderful weekend and a horrible end of it. We spent the weekend in a 100 miles away little town called Bad Nauheim, the so called European home of Elvis...

The 47 Buick Super Sedanet ran nicely, but it was tough terrain. Up and down all the time. On the way back, just three miles away from home on a flat surface still on the highway I heard a strange rattle from the upper part of the engine. Nothing regular, but like something was breaking and flying around. I stopped immediately, took the valve cover of and saw the desaster. #2 push rod was gone. Opened the push rod cover. The upper half was laying there, the bottom half bent, but still in the lifter. Quite frightening. Took the parts out of course. A small part of it is missing... All other push rods are straight as an arrow.

I let it cool down and then drove the last miles slowly back home. Not very ballanced of course and with little power. 

Need at least new push rods, but I wouldn't surprised if this is the end of the season. I have a mini camera in my garage. Will remove the spark plug and check inside for damage.... 

Does anyone have push rods for me? It looks like for 1947 the dealers don't have anything.  

Thanks for checking and advice. 

@Hans1965, What engine are we talking about? Also, In the US we have several businesses that make new custom push rods. I had an old tractor and needed their service. I just supplied a good rod and they copied it and sent me the original rod and 3 new ones for about $50.00 including shipping. A bit pricey, but when you need you need. Had the machine running in less than 2 weeks and back to farming. I would think in larger German cities these services would be available.

5 hours ago, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

@Hans1965, What engine are we talking about? Also, In the US we have several businesses that make new custom push rods. I had an old tractor and needed their service. I just supplied a good rod and they copied it and sent me the original rod and 3 new ones for about $50.00 including shipping. A bit pricey, but when you need you need. Had the machine running in less than 2 weeks and back to farming. I would think in larger German cities these services would be available.

It is the 248 cui engine. Thanks! I never thought about to possibly get it custom made here!