For Sale: 1968 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Convertible, 80K miles - $19,000 - Stratford, CT - Not Mine

For Sale: 1968 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Convertible, 80K miles - $19,000 - Stratford, CT

1968 oldsmobile 98 for sale by owner - Stratford, CT - craigslist
Seller's Description:

The 1968 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Convertible stands as a testament to the era of American automotive luxury and performance. As a flagship model in Oldsmobile's lineup, the Ninety-Eight exudes elegance and sophistication with its sleek, elongated body, distinctive chrome accents, and convertible top that adds a touch of open-air freedom. Under the hood, it boasts a powerful 455 cubic inch V8 engine, ensuring a smooth yet exhilarating driving experience. The spacious and well-appointed interior reflects Oldsmobile's dedication to luxury, featuring premium materials, comfortable seating, and a host of advanced features for its time. The 1968 Ninety-Eight Convertible embodies the perfect blend of style, comfort, and performance, making it a standout choice for collectors and enthusiasts.
This specific 1968 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Convertible, now available for sale, is a particularly special example with a rich ownership history. Originally owned by the first owner until 1992, it has had only three owners in total, each of whom has meticulously maintained the vehicle. The car's pristine condition is evident in its well-preserved exterior, featuring the classic lines and stylish design that make the Ninety-Eight a true icon. The interior remains in excellent original shape, offering a luxurious driving environment with all the charm and comfort of its original era. With its powerful V8 engine and timeless appeal, this Ninety-Eight Convertible not only delivers a remarkable driving experience but also represents a unique opportunity to own a piece of automotive history with a storied past. odometer: 80,758.
Offered at $19,000.00 USD. Additional photos and videos available upon request. No trades or financing offered at this time. Available for viewing by appointment only. Located in Stratford, CT.
Copy and paste in your email: 4f8cefd1cf3d325e9c8255ffd3b270cc@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1968 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Convertible.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell states 3,942 1968 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Convertibles built.

'68 Oldsmobile 98 conv CT a.jpg

'68 Oldsmobile 98 conv CT b.jpg

'68 Oldsmobile 98 conv CT c.jpg

'68 Oldsmobile 98 conv CT d.jpg

'68 Oldsmobile 98 conv CT e.jpg

'68 Oldsmobile 98 conv CT f.jpg

'68 Oldsmobile 98 conv CT g.jpg

'68 Oldsmobile 98 conv CT h.jpg

'68 Oldsmobile 98 conv CT i.jpg

'68 Oldsmobile 98 conv CT j.jpg

'68 Oldsmobile 98 conv CT k.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Am I the only one who looked at the background and thought Chappaquiddick?

Hate to be the one to tell you this, but you are showing your age.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, rocketraider said:

All that schmaltz and no pics of trunk compartment, underside or top up.

Ad says additional photos and videos are available. 

9 hours ago, rocketraider said:

All that schmaltz and no pics of trunk compartment, underside or top up.

Glenn:

Are there any other 1967-'68 Oldsmobile 98 enthusiast who are dismayed by those two distinct vertical creases on the two-door model rear quarter panels?  On an otherwise smooth, integrated design, they look like a serious tooling mistake.   They're not as obvious on the four-door models since the rear door edge coincides with the rearward crease placement.  Hard to believe Bill Mitchell let that detail out of the Oldsmobile styling studio.

On the other hand, by some visual slight-of-hand, or careful proportional detailing, the front-axle-to-dash length looks longer on the 1965-'68 Oldsmobile 88 and 98 B and C-Body models than it does on their Buick and Cadillac contemporaries.   One presumes the idea was to create a visual affinity with the Toronado.  Whatever the purpose, it works wonderfully well.

Steve

In my defense I was all of 12 years old when the Oldsmobile went off the bridge!

Some like the quarter panel crease, some don't. I'm indifferent to it though I've often wondered why it's there, given Oldsmobile's "swoopy" 67-68 styling themes. I've never heard an explanation for it but it had to have been deliberate.

It was known that Bill Mitchell liked quarter panel details that would draw your eye to them. That's how the 70-72 and 76-80 Cutlass Supreme and 71-78 Toronado got their quarter panel kickups- Mitchell looked at the smooth flanks and said "give me a little Eldorado below the window". So he of the red suits may have even blessed the Ninety Eight crease.

You are correct that Toronado styling influenced the entire carline in those years. The print advertising for all 1967 Oldsmobiles proclaimed "Engineered for Excitement- Toronado Style!"

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

In my defense I was all of 12 years old when the Oldsmobile went off the bridge!

Some like the quarter panel crease, some don't. I'm indifferent to it though I've often wondered why it's there, given Oldsmobile's "swoopy" 67-68 styling themes. I've never heard an explanation for it but it had to have been deliberate.

It was known that Bill Mitchell liked quarter panel details that would draw your eye to them. That's how the 70-72 and 76-80 Cutlass Supreme and 71-78 Toronado got their quarter panel kickups- Mitchell looked at the smooth flanks and said "give me a little Eldorado below the window". So he of the red suits may have even blessed the Ninety Eight crease.

You are correct that Toronado styling influenced the entire carline in those years. The print advertising for all 1967 Oldsmobiles proclaimed "Engineered for Excitement- Toronado Style!"

That's my assumption too on the unlovely creases, Bill Mitchell liked them, so they got stamping into the metal.  In three-quarter views, the interrupt the visual flow of the body, contrary to the overall design.

Imparting a "Toronado Style" into the front-axle-to-dash proportions for the 1965-'68 full-size lines increases their aesthetic appeal for anyone for whom the 1966-'67 Toronados are sublime design.  I suspect they tucked the wheelhouse size closer to the wheel/tire as possible and allowed the upper arc to shade over the upper quarter of the tire which also creates that long proportions affect, clever!

'66 Oldsmobile Delta 88 frt-dash.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Added photo. (see edit history)
  • Like 1