Chevy 1938 tire question (205/75R16 or 6.50-16)

Hi Guys, newbie here.

Happy to join you in this amazing forum.

Need to put new tires on a Chevy 1938 sport coupe. I live outside the US (i.e., Brazil) and, thus, options are restricted (and whitewall impossibles). Originals are 6.00-16 (width 159mm - diameter 718mm), but the options that I have are 195/75R16 radial (width 195mm - diameter 698mm), 205/75R16 radial (width 205mm - diameter 714mm) and 6.50-16 bias (width 173mm- diameter 745mm).

I am inclined to buy 6.50-16 6 plies, which are for vans and light trucks. I am concerned about looking more close to original, not steering too hard and running as smooth as possible.

I will be more than happy to hear suggestions, comments and ideas.

Thank you very much.  

Chevy 1938.jpg

Posted (edited)

@61polara

Thanks. Importing from the US the whitewalls correct ones will cost me about US 3,300 (price+freight+import taxes). The alternative that I see is to buy 6.50 - 16 tires, which are a little bit bigger and put on white tire stripes (arghhhh).

What do you guys think about 6.50 - 16 tires. I can buy Pirelli, Goodyear, Tornel etc. I am afraid that they will not look nice and they will provide a tought drive. The 6.50 - 16 are for light trucks and vans. Max load of 1600 lbs.

Edited by Celso (see edit history)

Will you need to use inner tubes?   Some of the old wheels had rivets that were not intended to seal the rim. 

Lots of owners in the US have switched to radials..... for several reasons,  better availabity,  ride better,  and they track better. 

My '39 Buick with belted tires would follow whatever groove was in the road,  just annoying.  

I don't think the size matters as long a you don't have a clearance problem..     

There is also those that would argue about putting WSW on a pre WWII vehicle,   few low priced cars came with them so sometimes

WSW on those cars look out of place.......  however I vote for WSW if you could get them.

@Barney Eaton

Thank you very much for your comments. WSW would be nice, but they are not available, unless imported. Car will look more original (all black tires), but I really like WSW. I could try to put white stripes. Probably will do it and see if they fit and are aceptable...