Should we have a "What's it worth" section?

And, we do get the occasional sincere question, often from an heir who has inherited a car and has absolutely no knowledge of how to dispose of it or what a reasonable price might be. I know of at least half a dozen of these requests in the past few years. Heck, if I inherited a collection of muscle cars I'd have to ask what they might sell for as I have no knowledge or interest in that subject.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

And, we do get the occasional sincere question, often from an heir who has inherited a car and has absolutely no knowledge of how to dispose of it or what a reasonable price might be. I know of at least half a dozen of these requests in the past few years. Heck, if I inherited a collection of muscle cars I'd have to ask what they might sell for as I have no knowledge or interest in that subject.

But would you ask a question like "What are they worth ?" from random strangers online or perhaps just inquire contact recommendations to someone trustworthy with real world experience in advising and/or disposing them in your best interest in mind ? 

I would probably do both. Yes, it would be better to talk to someone who had "real world" experience and I have enough experience myself to, perhaps, find the right person but this can't be expected of the odd heir to a car they know nothing about. One of the shortcomings of the internet is that if you don't know much about something it's very had to determine who is reliable and who is just blowing smoke. I see this all the time with 18th century arms (my real expertise is in that area) where the person who sounds the most confident often doesn't know what they are talking about. As far as pricing is concerned, I have very little knowledge even about the things I like. I buy what I like, for what I feel it is worth with no regard for what others may think. And in the case of cars, the market is badly skewed by idiotic television shows that present a very unrealistic picture of the old car hobby. I think that's probably unusual to cars...it isn't the case elsewhere.

I'm thinking here of the lady who posted photos of a 1922 Cadillac she had inherited a few years ago. She did get good advice and acted on it. I think that is a valuable contribution to the reputation of the AACA and this forum. Unfortunately, we have to deal with loads of rubbish to find the occasional gem.

• Like 2