For Sale: 1939 Packard Six Club Coupe - $17,000 - Julian, PA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1939 Packard Six Club Coupe - $17,000 - Julian, PA

1939 Packard Six Club Coupe for sale by owner - Julian, PA - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1939 Packard Six Club Coupe, rear fold up jump seats, needs new headliner, flathead straight 6, 3 speed column shift, runs good, 10-year-old partial restoration, has some imperfections but good overall condition, I don't drive it often so looking for a new home, ask for more detail if interested.
Copy and paste in your email: 19860c5c79d531d4afd49fad8195a33e@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1939 Packard Six Club Coupe.

'39 Packard Six Club Coupe PA a.jpg

'39 Packard Six Club Coupe PA b.jpg

'39 Packard Six Club Coupe PA c.jpg

'39 Packard Six Club Coupe PA d.jpg

'39 Packard Six Club Coupe PA f.jpg

'39 Packard Six Club Coupe PA g.jpg

'39 Packard Six Club Coupe PA h.jpg

'39 Packard Six Club Coupe PA i.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bryankazmer said:

One shade of gray, please

Yes, I’d say after 1934, two tones get iffy, and the hood matching fenders is just silly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

Yes, I’d say after 1934, two tones get iffy, and the hood matching fenders is just silly.

I’d say monotone 35-40. After that the styling breaks are compatible with it and were factory options

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

I’d say monotone 35-40. After that the styling breaks are compatible with it and were factory options

I’d agree.  My mindset is pre-war, as in WWII, so that’s the time period to which I commented.  I should have made that clear.  Some great two tones showed up mid-1950s.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

After the 1932 Graham 'Blue Streak' was presented in solid colors as a unified design, the industry quickly followed the lead as it was seen as modern.  Two-tones with body color and black fenders became the province of commercial vehicles.  This '39 Six in one or the other solid gray would have been just fine, consistent with the time period.  How they arrived at this color break is beyond me. 

Addendum: Here is how good two-tone gray can look on a Packard of the immediate pre-war years where such two-tones were factory defined and appropriate.

'41 Packard 180 Sport Brougham by LeBaron.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments and image (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, trimacar said:

I’d agree.  My mindset is pre-war, as in WWII, so that’s the time period to which I commented.  I should have made that clear.  Some great two tones showed up mid-1950s.

I still make a prewar distinction. Two tones were »in » on many cars by the last 2-3 years prewar, not in the preceding styles. The color break though is roof to lower body, not body to fender.
I agree the Graham (and Hupp) designs led the monotone look

• Like 1