Is there any connection between Herbert Lozier the author and the Lozier Motor Company

Herbert Lozier was an author of books about cars, both full size as well as models, and was a renowned model car and model boat builder. I'm just wondering if he or his family had any connection to the Lozier Motor Company, builder of fine brass era cars. I recently bought a book about the first 50 years of auto advertising written by Peter Roberts. Herbert Lozier's signature and address is on the inside, as well as several comments about the contents of the book, which are initialed by Herbert Lozier. Thanks in advance for any information. 

The car company was run by Henry and Harry Losier. I'm not sure who Herbert is.

Herbert Lozier was indeed a author of car books, mostly in the 1950s early 1960s. He lived in Brooklyn at his family home then later relocated to Plainview and finally Huntington, N.Y. further out on long island about mid way. I knew Herb well, he lived off the $ he inherited from his family but I don't believe there was a direct connection to the Lozier that built the motor cars. If there were he would have mentioned this with great pride and expounded upon the details. He was a car collector but never restored anything. Had a 1934 Packard conv coupe and the fabric bodied L29 Cord victoria coupe built by Weymann that has been restored and now lives in Europe for many years. I saw him mostly in the early 1970s - purchased from him a pilot ray light I restored and fitted to the front of my 1931 Franklin with Derham body and I also purchased his entire period photo collection of 5 x 7 prints. He was friends with Warren Fitzgerald who worked for G.M. and the prints were made at G,M. for Herb on request by Herb. They were professional b & w photos taken at European auto salons pre WWII of the cars they had on display stands. G.M. wanted to know what was going on so far as the latest styling trend in Europe on car design so had the photos taken.  Amazing stuff and in total about 450+ photographs. Herb was a master model car builder. First making scratch built cars ( all details even engines, working tops etc) then he bought model kits and highly modified those for more detail or changed body styles ( a touring would be transformed into a town car) . I have some photos of him and the models he built and own one of the scratch built cars he made that is a Packard touring and is about 14 inches long by about 6 inches wide and highly detailed. 

I have found the time to add this photo of the Packard touring car that Herb Lozier made. He made it in the mid to late 1950s - entirely scratch built and well detailed. Tires were pieces of rubber air tubing used for windshield wipers on cars under the hood of a real car. He cut to length then fitted the ends together with a wood dowel inserted to keep it together. I am guessing this model is now 70 years old. Top folds down and there is a boot to cover in lowered position, wheels turn as well hood raises to show a detailed straight 8 engine. Herb wrote books on making model cars . Nothing on this model came from a manufactured kit.

Packard model one.jpg

Packard model eng.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Kinda dusty as you see it but it was made entirely by hand long before any electronic devices we know and have today.  As mentioned it has a working folding top!!

I will give more measurements tomorrow  as to its size. Not much discussion on here about scratch built toys/models. All this was scaled up by hand as well with rulers and a pencil no calculators etc. I have to much odd stuff.....................🙃

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)