Inserting a video into a topic

Hi,

I have a couple of short videos of less than one minute that were taken with my IPad that would be of interest to readers on this forum but I am having difficulty in trying to get them to upload into the post reply. 

Am not sure what format my IPad saves these videos to, but this forum response says it will only take .jpg etc type files.

Can you advise how I can upload these into the forum to post them?

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

Posted (edited)

I don't believe the forum supports direct upload of video at all. I have been able to embed Youtube postings by simply dropping the Youtube link in the forum post here. That may be the best answer. There used to be some little snippet of code that needed to go around the link to the video, but now the forum seems to figure it out all by itself.

Back when you had to put the bit of code around the link, I don't think I ever got videos posted on other sites (Dailymotion, etc.) to embed in a post here, but you could still post a link. Maybe some others sites would work now? I've not tried.

I think it is highly unlikely Facebook would ever be usable as an alternative due to the membership requirements, nag screens, etc. Just my 2c.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
5 hours ago, Bloo said:

I don't believe the forum supports direct upload of video at all. I have been able to embed Youtube postings by simply dropping the Youtube link in the forum post here. That may be the best answer. There used to be some little snippet of code that needed to go around the link to the video, but now the forum seems to figure it out all by itself.

Back when you had to put the bit of code around the link, I don't think I ever got videos posted on other sites (Dailymotion, etc.) to embed in a post here, but you could still post a link. Maybe some others sites would work now? I've not tried.

I think it is highly unlikely Facebook would ever be usable as an alternative due to the membership requirements, nag screens, etc. Just my 2c.

Thanks, I did read that in a previous post. These are short videos we have taken ourselves and not through YouTube. Looks like I may need to post them on YouTube then transfer the link back to the forum.

Will see how easy that is as I didn’t want it exposed to the world, rather just this forum.

cheers

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this trick will work on this forum, I have done this on other forums.

If you have a gmail email account, you automatically get Google drive.

In google drive you can create a share folder, set it to share (they have changed the process some but you will have some options like shared with password, share with URL link, you will want shared with URL link) , drop your video into the shared folder, generate share URL link, copy link to your clipboard then paste that link into your post..

Keep in mind, I have done this on other forums using a desktop Windows PC, using "I" devices or Androids to do this may not be as easy or work at all.

Seeing if link works..

Link works for me..

Removed link..

Edited by ABear (see edit history)

You're welcome to link to files on cloud drives like Google Drive or Apple Files.

The problem:  inevitably the link will break because you delete the file or you no longer use that specific cloud drive.  

If you have a video worth sharing then create an acct on YouTube and post it there, then share the link here.

I dont allow video uploaded to the forums.  1. they are large. 2. they take forever to download. 3. File formats are iffy and they may not work on all devices.  Uploading them to youtube solves all those problems.

Peter, you do bring up a good point about video compatibility and certainly using YouTube does fix that issue by uploading and converting the video to it's own file versions and providing its own player.

In doing so, however YouTube often degrades video and audio streams quality by employing very high compression technics.

However, Google Drive does also provide it's own video player but unlike Youtube the video and audio streams are not altered. Videos are uploaded to Google drive in the native format they were taken and then shared via URL link, the URL link will open a player from Google. So as long as the video format is supported by Googles player compatibility isn't much of an issue and result can be better video and audio streams.

Downside to Google drive is the free storage space is shared between GMail and drive and only get 15 GB of space to work with and if you don't delete emails or other files you run out of space or will need to buy more space at a cost. Or create additional free Gmail accounts if you don't mind dealing with multiple accounts..

I have also used Google drive to host and post URL links to documents in PDF format which some forums will not directly accept and Google drive also provides a PDF reader.

Don't have any experience with say MS One Drive URL linking as I disable that feature on my PCs.

On 7/26/2024 at 12:33 PM, ABear said:

Peter, you do bring up a good point about video compatibility and certainly using YouTube does fix that issue by uploading and converting the video to it's own file versions and providing its own player.

In doing so, however YouTube often degrades video and audio streams quality by employing very high compression technics.

However, Google Drive does also provide it's own video player but unlike Youtube the video and audio streams are not altered. Videos are uploaded to Google drive in the native format they were taken and then shared via URL link, the URL link will open a player from Google. So as long as the video format is supported by Googles player compatibility isn't much of an issue and result can be better video and audio streams.

Downside to Google drive is the free storage space is shared between GMail and drive and only get 15 GB of space to work with and if you don't delete emails or other files you run out of space or will need to buy more space at a cost. Or create additional free Gmail accounts if you don't mind dealing with multiple accounts..

I have also used Google drive to host and post URL links to documents in PDF format which some forums will not directly accept and Google drive also provides a PDF reader.

Don't have any experience with say MS One Drive URL linking as I disable that feature on my PCs.

Youtube may degrade the video some BUT: the upsides of using them are: universal compatibility, speed, and what I consider the most important:  Once on Youtube they remain available indefinitely.  Side benefit, you can search youtube and find lots of related videos.  

Cloud drives are great, but if the acct is deleted or the user deletes the file, then all that remains is a broken link.  Offsetting any benefit to video quality.

3 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Youtube may degrade the video some BUT: the upsides of using them are: universal compatibility, speed, and what I consider the most important:  Once on Youtube they remain available indefinitely.  Side benefit, you can search youtube and find lots of related videos.  

Cloud drives are great, but if the acct is deleted or the user deletes the file, then all that remains is a broken link.  Offsetting any benefit to video quality.

Nothing on the Internet is "permanent" or will remain "indefinite" nor does "standards" mean a thing.

Ask anyone who had put all of their pictures into Photobucket for yrs only to have Photobucket change terms and demand a ransom to those that linked their photos to other places on the web in order to continue allowing those links to work.

Youtube at any time can change the terms of service to a paid model and/or they can at anytime change the terms of service of the links to include ads, ads that most likely will not have anything remotely related to the forum or even worse. Basically the forum would not have control over the ads content which may require moderation review and removal. As of right now, they are not putting ads in the links, but don't expect that to continue as YouTube is constantly pushing more ads that are not easy to bypass anymore on their platform.

Myself, have been burned a few times with paid online storage hosting that either disappeared or changed terms of service and demanded more money to continue allowing links to work.

I get it, videos do take more storage space than pictures, but the only way for a forum to keep the video links from being broken is to host the storage on the forums servers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ABear said:

Nothing on the Internet is "permanent" or will remain "indefinite" nor does "standards" mean a thing.... but the only way for a forum to keep the video links from being broken is to host the storage on the forums servers.

Agreed. BUT...

YouTube has been around for 20 years and has consistently provided a quality free service. They are the closest thing to permanent and standard as one can get.  Remember, Youtube benefits from free content. $9BILLION in ad revenue last year. PhotoBucket couldn't make a profit.

The AACA forums will never host videos.  The storage costs are prohibitive, not to mention the inconsistencies of formats and slow download speeds.

YouTube is the better solution.

• Thanks 1