35/40 series choke

I don't think my choke is working on my 35,it seems to be open at all times.I really dont think I need it in Florida but my question is if it was in working order would it start easier? Now I squirt a little gas down the carb.and hit the starter and it fires up. If I don't I have to pump the accelerator several times. I'm thinking of installing a manual choke cable if that would help.I read about installing electric fuel pumps but really don't want to go that route. Any thoughts? Thanks.

30 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

...my question is if it was in working order would it start easier?

Yes, and installing a manual choke cable is an option.  I was able to fix the Delco choke on my '38 and it seems to work OK.  The biggest issue with mine was it needed a good cleaning.

image.jpeg.34516dd08bee29c548bf41475f48d663.jpeg

image.jpeg.5a8d46ba7b0f97a202df0e9cc2de019b.jpeg

• Like 1

This is why I have a fuel boost pump in the back.    All I do is flip the boost pump on and listen for the pump to slow down telling me the carb is full.  Then I give the throttle a singe pump which put gas down into the manifold and hit the starter.   Kicks right off.       Winter May require two pumps.    I changed my adjustable ignition  advance  control from a rotation to a push/ pull  cable so I can add throttle to have a higher throttle setting unti the engine is warmed and then push it forward to set the idle back.    That procedure has worked for me no matter  where I've been.    Pix if needed.     The key is the boost pump back by the gas tank. 

9 hours ago, Jim Nelson said:

All I do is flip the boost pump on and listen for the pump to slow down telling me the carb is full.  Then I give the throttle a singe pump which put gas down into the manifold and hit the starter.   Kicks right off.       Winter May require two pumps.

My '38 had an electric pump installed when I bought it and I follow the same procedure outlined by Jim.  As I said earlier, I also have a working choke and usually use the throttle to maintain a fast idle after pulling out of the garage while I go back to close the door.  Without any choke I think you'll need to let the engine warm-up before driving away in order to avoid cold stumbling and stalling.

8 hours ago, Rayp34 said:

I have re-purposed the hand throttle knob and cable on my 34 series 40 as a manual choke.

I never thought of that.I kinda like using my hand throttle for starting though sometimes.

• Like 1