Buick 1940 Super inside door handle drives me nuts .

I am assembling the door again after oiling and cleaning the door and window mechanism .I  mount the handle to open the door with a new spring and when i close the door the handle flies inside the car . I put some tension on the spring so it sits tight but still the handle does not sit tight .I even tought to look for a square spring so it does not slip out of it .Then i thought to use TEC 7 or lock tight but this is not what i like to do .I am afraid the pin where the handle goes over is worn out .What can i do ?? Before i become completely nuts and need psysical help .Thanks 

Daniel, can you share a photo of the post on which the handle mounts?  It is not likely to be worn though.  My next guess, emphasis on guess, is that the handle was not pushed fully onto the post.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kgreen said:

Daniel, can you share a photo of the post on which the handle mounts?  It is not likely to be worn though.  My next guess, emphasis on guess, is that the handle was not pushed fully onto the post.

Thanks , but the handle is pushed to the end , the spring clicks in , de handle holds but when i wiggle a little bit it comes of .I will see if I can take a picture .

If all else fails get another handle. The handle is made of softer (pot) metal than the splined mounting post and they're subject to wear and looseness over time. The worn ones might pop right on when installed but can fly off when the door's slammed, you hit a bump in the road or sometimes they even come off overnight and you find them on the floor for no reason at all. Maybe it's just time for a new handle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The 55er said:

If all else fails get another handle. The handle is made of softer (pot) metal than the splined mounting post and they're subject to wear and looseness over time. The worn ones might pop right on when installed but can fly off when the door's slammed, you hit a bump in the road or sometimes they even come off overnight and you find them on the floor for no reason at all. Maybe it's just time for a new handle. 

Thanks !But mine are those deluxe door handles that are difficult and expensive .But you can be correct in saying that the handle is worn out.

3 hours ago, kgreen said:

Thanks !!!   I started measuring and indeed those deluxe door handles did not go far enough on that pin .Only a few mm short  .I put on a new spring and carefully tapped on the handle and now it sits far enough and tight ! I will be able to sleep again ..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1