For Sale: 1970 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan - $19,500 - Simi Valley, CA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1970 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan - $19,500 - Simi Valley, CA

1970 Lincoln continental for sale by owner - Simi Valley, CA - craigslist
Seller's Description:

Show quality, pristine vehicle, loaded with options, needs nothing but a new owner!!!ice cold a/c. odometer: 91000.
Copy and paste in your email: 6e3c74caa36b3771be8db0b4cb270a83@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1970 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedan.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell states 28,622 1970 Lincoln Continental 4dr Sedans built.

'70 Lincoln continental CA a.jpg

'70 Lincoln continental CA b.jpg

'70 Lincoln continental CA c.jpg

'70 Lincoln continental CA d.jpg

'70 Lincoln continental CA e.jpg

'70 Lincoln continental CA f.jpg

'70 Lincoln continental CA g.jpg

'70 Lincoln continental CA h.jpg

'70 Lincoln continental CA i.jpg

• Like 3

I really like this year Lincoln. A one year only style with the full width grille and hidden headlights, Cord inspired hood, and crisp unadorned fender treatment. I like the two door version better, but this four door version in beigy gold is still quite a beauty! Something odd with the blinker stalk... Price seems pretty stiff, but who knows?

• Like 1

It's VERY seldom that this model is to be

found, especially in excellent condition.

This is quite a find for the limited number

of Lincoln fans who like these.  I think that

nationwide, you won't see an equivalent one

for sale for a year or more.

Does anyone have insights why Marks of this

era are commonplace, yet the "regular" Lincolns

of this era are seldom seen?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, 69merc said:

Something odd with the blinker stalk.

That one rod works the turn signals, tilt wheel and cruise control.  Without cruise it is a little shorter and all metal.  Add cruise (the button on the tip) and the last 2” become plastic.  A piece of plastic as a structural component on a lever arm that will receive force In four different directions. What could possibly go wrong?  

12 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Survival, survival, survival…….

Same old story, why do you see so many 57 Chevrolets and not Fords (Ford out sold Chevrolet in 57)

Why are there plenty of retractable top Skyliners and so few cloth top Sunliners? (You would never guess that when new retractables were rare compared to convertibles)

When a car becomes 10-15 years old and it develops issues but has lost all of its status value, do the owners send it down the road to be scrapped? OR do they say “It’s going to cost more to repair than it’s worth, but I still like it, so I’ll just put it in the garage (or backyard)”. 

Everyone likes the balanced look of a Mark III, but a Lincoln sedan is just an old used luxury car. 
The cars we have today are the ones that somebody decided not to scrap.  

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

John_S:

My insight regarding the popularity of the Mark coupes over the once more numerous sedans is that no matter the car, in general, sporty coupes and of course convertibles always supersede the sedans and lesser sporty coupes of the same make in survival and collector popularity.  These BoF Lincolns that succeeded the 'center-opening-door' unibody Lincolns have generally been less well regarded because some of Lincoln's exclusive uniqueness was lost when Ford decided to rationalize the Lincoln to share much more of the chassis and body structures with the full-sized Ford and Mercurys.  

Although this example is 'optimistically priced', I have to admit bias in the case of these early 1970's Lincoln Continentals, I had a 1970 sedan forty years ago as a nice used car.  It drove and rode wonderfully, had ample power, but of course was thirsty: 10 mpg regardless of how driven.   Personally, regarding the styling, the first five years of the series feels more sweeping and graceful contrasted to the increasing formal and somewhat stiff aura projected by the 1975-'79 models.  The latter years have survived in far greater numbers, more so owing to the knowledge they were the last of the grandiose 'land-yacht' Lincolns to soon be no more.   

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The '70 IS especially rare, with the two door coupe being excessively so. 

• Like 2