ID Straight 8

I purchased a straight 8 I believe to be a 49 but I am having trouble verifying. It measures a little over 30” at the valve cover. So it is considered the “short” straight 8. It has engine mount holes on both sides. I purchased Buick motor mounts from eBay - they did not come with motor. There is no id next to the distributor - it’s smooth! There are no numbers behind the water pump. And while there are engine mount holes on both sides of the motor - the front timing cover has an integrated mount bracket (I thought like older models used before side mounts). 

I did find one number on the side of crankcase near the oil dipstick:

RE- 150775

Is this how Buick labeled replacement motors????

I want to verify the year, model so I can order proper parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

thank you

IMG_5249.jpeg

IMG_5241.jpeg

IMG_4844.jpeg

Looks to me to definitely be the small engine for Special and Super models prior to 1953.  In fact I think this is a 248 cubic inch engine based on the intake manifold having the round hole near the front to support the original air cleaner although it could be a 263 cubic inch engine with the 248 intake manifold.  That is all I can tell you now.   There are Buick guys who may know if this is a replacement engine especially given that there are no numbers next to the distributor.

Joe, BCA 33493

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 9:44 AM, rj27buick said:

A few more images

IMG_5250.jpeg

IMG_5252.jpeg

That IS a 248 CI engine.   1948 or 1949!  Due to no proper engine number, I know of only one way to verify.  Remove the oil pan. Check a rod bearing. If Babbitt, 1948. If inserts, 1949. The rod bearings are probably the only difference.

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1