1950 Buick special torque ball bushing

Hello new here. I have a 50 special with manual transmission. When I bought the car engine was pulled. I have since pulled the rearend and transmission. I found the torque ball bushing and u joint were damaged beyond safe use. I purchased a ujoint and new bronze bushing. How is the bushing held in. It looks like a small pin is in place does it just get driven out? Also the new bushing is very tight. I can hone it to fit the dimensions of the u joint with a couple thousands for oil film. Any other ideas on what to do?

12 hours ago, CGkidd said:

Hello new here. I have a 50 special with manual transmission. When I bought the car engine was pulled. I have since pulled the rearend and transmission. I found the torque ball bushing and u joint were damaged beyond safe use. I purchased a ujoint and new bronze bushing. How is the bushing held in. It looks like a small pin is in place does it just get driven out? Also the new bushing is very tight. I can hone it to fit the dimensions of the u joint with a couple thousands for oil film. Any other ideas on what to do?

I have never replaced just the bushing (just the torque ball with a better bushing), but it is probably pressed in.  And I have only seen a few failures: the special drilled bolt (for lubrication) that holds the universal was replaced with a plain bolt; water in the transmission fluid that clogged that bolt.

Soak your replacement universal in hot tranny fluid before installation.

Hmm didn’t know it is a special bolt to hold on the yoke. Mine looks like a standard fine thread. Is the bolt drilled? If so what size is it? When I tore it down the washer was definitely wrong. 

32 minutes ago, CGkidd said:

Hmm didn’t know it is a special bolt to hold on the yoke. Mine looks like a standard fine thread. Is the bolt drilled? If so what size is it? When I tore it down the washer was definitely wrong. 

I don't remember mine being drilled, either!  Perhaps earlier years?

Ben

2 hours ago, CGkidd said:

May be just dynaflow...I overlooked standard transmission in the original post.

CGkidd, do you have the factory shop manual for your 1950 BUICK? You might find that some of this info you're seeking is found in it, along with lots more essential material. Just mentioning this. Good luck with your project. John

• Thanks 1