Help indentifying model year. 1918?

I bought and am selling what I was told was a 1918 Dodge Brothers. The title said 1918 Dodge Brothers. But after kicking around a bit and from someone bringing it to my attention I have my doubts. But I'm not certain. The number on the crossmember in front of the seat, and on the title is 487216. The engine, which I think was a replacement, has the number A471-615. I'm not sure if this will help with identifying the year but the starter/generator and distributor are NorthEast Electric and the carb is a Stewart. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!

487216 was made between May 19th and June 10th of 1920.  

The "A" prefix, (for bodies), began in late December of 1923 to mark the 1,000,000th vehicle

• Like 1

I include the chart showing chassis serial numbers.

IMG_1457.jpeg.459f1eb1142935042c130805bfbcfee9.jpeg

Definitely 1920.

This chart is included in the Dodge Brothers Mechanics Instruction Manual.

IMG_1459.jpeg.eee03a3b632e78e8622bc1413df8a3b8.jpeg

The engine will have been changed for a later unit when the original became worn.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pretty sure I was the one that brought it to your attention. The serial number would be May of 1920 which pretty much fits with the body, top, windshield etc., if it is the car I am thinking about (Facebook?). The engine numbers are higher than the actual car serial number, by around 50,000. So, subtracting 50,000 from A471-615 the engine would have been made just after Sept 11, 1925. Engines mount the same so not uncommon to have a different engine in the car, mine is a couple of years newer than my car. 

Is this the car in question: Facebook

If the serial number matches the title, think I would let sleeping dogs lie unless your state DMV is easy to work with to get the year changed on the title. Might consider when it sells, letting the buyer know that somehow the wrong year got put on the title and that the car is actually a 1920 with newer engine. :)

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think the engine numbers were about 50,000 later than the chassis numbers but certainly the 2nd half of 1925.

It is the chassis number that dates the car’s year of manufacture.

• Like 2

I still find it amazing that they produced a million vehicles in nine years.  

Equally interesting and mind boggling is the $25 million that Ford had to pay Dodge Brothers in 1919.

Ford was a ruthless ........

• Like 1

Thank you all, I appreciate the info. And Mark you were the one that brought it to my attention and I'm thankful for that because I don't want to be selling it to someone as anything other than it is. So off to the SoS here to have the title changed. Again, thanks to all!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 68dodgeramman said:

Thank you all, I appreciate the info. And Mark you were the one that brought it to my attention and I'm thankful for that because I don't want to be selling it to someone as anything other than it is. So off to the SoS here to have the title changed. Again, thanks to all!

You are very welcome! Hope it all works out. :)