Hirsch selling off carpet, fabric, leather business

I noticed the post about Hirsch selling the Packard parts business to Max Merritt, I've not seen mention of the fact that Hirsch is getting out of the carpet, leather, and fabric supply business.

All of the inventory is being auctioned, online, by A. J. Willner Auctions.  

If you are looking for leather, carpet, broadcloth, now's the time to join with friends and buy a lot from this auction, they are selling lots which consist of one or more rolls of material, and in the case of leather lots consisting of numerous hides.

From the auction:

Inventory Liquidation Auction
Re:  Hirsch Automotive Products

For over 50 years Hirsch Automotive Products has been a trusted source for new OEM products for classic car restoration.  Hirsch will concentrate on servicing their customers automative paint needs and discontinue their sale of Leather Upholstery & Carpet Inventory.  This inventory is currently warehoused at the Newark, NJ headquarters and will be liquidated via a timed online auction.   The inventory will be offered in individual lots to accommodate both large and small buyers.  Please feel free to contact AJ Willner Auctions if you have in interest in making a bulk offer for the entire inventory in advance of the auction. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hirsch has been winding down their upholstery & carpet business for some time.  I bought their last roll of one color of striped wool upholstery for my 1937 Lincoln K last year knowing it wasn't going to be available again.  They will be missed.  

5 hours ago, charlespetty said:

Hirsch has been winding down their upholstery & carpet business for some time.  I bought their last roll of one color of striped wool upholstery for my 1937 Lincoln K last year knowing it wasn't going to be available again.  They will be missed.  

Did you happen to buy Hirsch's  #  TTB-2  two-tone tan and brown wool Bedford Cord. I only needed 3 yards for front & rear seat centers. I called Hirsch a few months ago but all he had left was 1 yard. I bought it thinking all I need to do now is find enough left over scrapes I could cut three more, 2-ft pieces out of.  I contacted some upholstery shops I know would use Hirsh's materials but they all treated me like a nuisance and acted like it wasn't worth their bother to search their stash and sell me a couple pieces of scrap.  I gave up on that idea. I do have a sample of a bedford cord material from SMS that has the correct 1/8th inch (approx) alternating stripes but the brown is too light and the tan is on the olive side, neither color looks good with the original shade of brown leather.  SMS can provide me with an olive tan leather  to go with it. This olive combination was used in early 50s Packards and possibably other cars.  The tan & brown stripe Cord I'm looking for was used on Ford (Deluxe), Lincoln, and Mercury of the late 30s and 40s and similar makes.

I've probably provided more information than anyone wanted to read but if Charlespetty or anyone else has some leftover/extra Hersch # TTB-2 wool stripped brown & tan Bedford Cord I would like to buy it, in any amount.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jdome said:

Did you happen to buy Hirsch's  #  TTB-2  two-tone tan and brown wool Bedford Cord. I only needed 3 yards for front & rear seat centers. I called Hirsch a few months ago but all he had left was 1 yard. I bought it thinking all I need to do now is find enough left over scrapes I could cut three more, 2-ft pieces out of.  I contacted some upholstery shops I know would use Hirsh's materials but they all treated me like a nuisance and acted like it wasn't worth their bother to search their stash and sell me a couple pieces of scrap.  I gave up on that idea. I do have a sample of a bedford cord material from SMS that has the correct 1/8th inch (approx) alternating stripes but the brown is too light and the tan is on the olive side, neither color looks good with the original shade of brown leather.  SMS can provide me with an olive tan leather  to go with it. This olive combination was used in early 50s Packards and possibably other cars.  The tan & brown stripe Cord I'm looking for was used on Ford (Deluxe), Lincoln, and Mercury of the late 30s and 40s and similar makes.

I've probably provided more information than anyone wanted to read but if Charlespetty or anyone else has some leftover/extra Hersch # TTB-2 wool stripped brown & tan Bedford Cord I would like to buy it, in any amount.

What I bought from Hirsch is not in my understanding Bedford Cord. Bedford Cord has discernible ridges and the wool striped fabric I purchased is quite flat without ridges.  It is appropriate for 1930s Packards and Lincoln automobiles. 

IMG_3314.jpeg

IMG_3313.jpeg

Photo of my original rear seat. The Hirsch material is a good match. Rear seat is in good condition and must not have had much use. Front seat cloth is torn and worn out. 

47FORDrearseatphoto.jpg.b7bd23450946865fea705a2f1a5a796c.jpg