1964 factory seatbelt issue

Deanoko

2 issues:

The passenger side seatbelt does not want to adjust.  Otherwise on great shape, just seems to be "locked up" so that I can't adjust the length.

The second issue is that the driver's side requires on average, 3 stabs to get it toPXL_20240511_023614521_MP.jpg.e549950fdb9f87d7916115af4ea699da.jpg latch.  I can't tell what I'm doing differently from one attempt to the next.

I have two different models of the ‘64 seat belts. The Brownlines, like yours, and the Hamills all have the same problem you’re having.  I’ve talked to the techs at Ssnake Oyl and Python about this. I got the same answer from both - corrosion. The locking mechanism and roller in them have a tendency to become corroded.  I don’t know if I’m ready to spend the big $$ on getting them rewebbed, replated, and refurbished or just buy some aircraft buckle style belts from the aftermarket guys.  

Dean,

The lock bar inside the buckle is originally finished with a di-chromate process that corrodes with time. Also, the belt material stiffens with age and takes a "set" around the lock bar.

The buckles can be disassembled and the parts cleaned up but the process is tricky to avoid bending/damage to the buckle. It took me about 3 sets to nail down the ideal prying tools and to determine the correct order of disassembly...and each time I do it, I feel I`m still on the learning curve because I dont do it often and, on occasion, I  do several different `60`s styles which differ significantly re their components and order of disassembly.

I do have NOS buckle ends with belts and anchors which are in the original box and are for sale if you want to minimize labor time and achieve a superior end result. If interested please send a PM.

Thanks,

Tom

• Like 1

Good info guys.  I suspect the webbing has taken a "set" as this car has no discernable corrosion anywhere, having been in heated indoor storage with no salting of roads in it's life.  I will fiddle with them in earnest and may reach out to you Tom on your set(s?)

Thanks,

Dean

Remove them and soak in some hot water and mild detergent. You'll be surprised how dirty the water gets. This also tends to soften the belt webbing a bit, enough that it will usually start to slide thru the buckles.

A couple of blasts of compressed air before the soak will sometimes dislodge 60 years of built-up crud and free up the latches. Use some type of "dry" lubricant spray.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deanoko said:

Good info guys.  I suspect the webbing has taken a "set" as this car has no discernable corrosion anywhere, having been in heated indoor storage with no salting of roads in it's life.  I will fiddle with them in earnest and may reach out to you Tom on your set(s?)

Thanks,

Dean

Dean, as an addendum, the issue you describe regarding the latch concerns me most. I should have a addressed same in my reply.

Part way through the `64 model year, Brown Line, which was one of the `64 seat belt manufacturers, conducted a voluntary campaign through Buick to supply updated seat belt buckles due to a flaw in the original product. Buick requested seat belt sales data from the dealers and in response Brown Line sent replacement seat belts. The dealer was then instructed to notify the customers to bring their cars back to the dealer for installation of the updated product. I suspect the flaw in the buckles is exactly what you are experiencing. I dont know which of the components in the buckles was upgraded, or if the entire latching mechanism was reengineered?

Tom Mooney 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Remove them and soak in some hot water and mild detergent. You'll be surprised how dirty the water gets. This also tends to soften the belt webbing a bit, enough that it will usually start to slide thru the buckles.

A couple of blasts of compressed air before the soak will sometimes dislodge 60 years of built-up crud and free up the latches. Use some type of "dry" lubricant spray.

Hi Glenn,

Since you are an Oldsmobile guy......I`m searching for NOS `64 Oldsmobile Brown Line front seat belts in medium blue. If you have any or know someone who might, please send me a PM.

Thanks,

Tom Mooney

Can't help on the 64 Olds belts, Tom.

Oldsmobile used two different styles also. One with a plain grained plastic buckle cover which tends to break after so many years, and the Deluxe belts that have a chromed metal buckle with the 60s style Oldsmobile "flat" Rocket. 61, 62 and 63 attach to eyebolts on the floor, 64 have an eyelet on the belt that attaches to the floorpan with a shoulder bolt like later vehicles.

None of them are easy to find.