Adding A/C to a 1951 Ford Custom

Posted (edited)

Hello! I’m working on adding A/C to my 51 shoebox Ford but I’m not sure which kit to go with. The car is still running a stock 8BA Flathead V8 but has been converted to 12v negative ground with an alternator. I don’t really have any way to machine custom brackets or anything like that, so the kit would have to be bolt on. I see that Shoebox central has a plug and play kit, but I’ve not heard any reviews really. I know VintageAir makes top quality stuff, but they don’t have a specific kit for this car so I’m not sure how that would work, even though they do have universal kits. Any advice is greatly appreciated, as summer is fast approaching! Thanks! 

Edited by Matt129 (see edit history)

I know several that have put vintage air in their trans ams with great success and are very happy with it. I think they have a good product. I think I would contact them directly and see if they can offer any help with your particular auto.

Posted (edited)

Try Classic Auto Air.  They make complete kits for 1948 and up pickups and 1955 and up Ford Cars.  Very easy installation and they can probably piece the correct condenser.  I installed one of the units in a 65 Mustang and is a great product.

Edited by Reicholzheimer (see edit history)
  • Like 1