1931 LaSalle 345 sedan. New toy and a few doubts...

Hi:

I recently got a 1931 LaSalle 345 regular sedan (6 windows), which is basically a very sound car, mostly original and complete, but I do have some doubts and parts requests:

1. I just found out via the forum that the car used what was called a Trico Visionall unit, under the visor cap on the roof, around 45" wide. I do have the dashboard vacuum switch but I am missing the entire unit under the visor, in case anybody might have one. 

2- Accelerator control. Right now it does nothing and we can't find anything to connect the control from the steering column unto the accelerator linkage. Can anybody shed some light here? 

3. Light controls at steering wheel. My light control arm (part of the ring in the steering wheel center) is broken. Is anybody reproducing those?

4. Advance control on dashboard. What I have now is not identical to others I have seen on the net. Can anybody tell me if it is correct or not and hopefully, if not, guide me in the correct direction to get one?

5. Owners manual. Is there a particular LaSalle 345 manual or should I look for a 1931 Cadillac manual? Anyhow, I need one.

6. Keys. What was the original key used in these cars? I am guessing the car has ignition and door lock (that is what it has now) and a separate key for the Oakes sidemount locks.... so it may be only those two keys. Am I right? Would the Oakes locks use any particular key?

Thanks!
Victor

23.10, 1931 LaSalle, vmg (45).JPG

24.05, 1931 LaSalle 345 sedan, vmg (13).JPG

24.05, 1931 LaSalle 345 sedan, vmg (14).JPG

Lasalle.JPG

23.10, 1931 LaSalle, vmg (35).JPG

• Like 2

Hello Victor, the Cadillac and Lasalle Club publishes an Authenticity Manual for 1927-1933 Lasalles. (class 3) They are available on the Cad/Las club website. www.cadillaclasalleclub.org. Many answers to your questions can be found there. 

I can't answer your questions. I have a 1940 Lasalle. 

• Like 2

Mike the timing advance lever is wrong, a made up piece to fit. I’ll try and send you a photo of the correct one later.

As for you throttle and light switch problem, there are two possible answers. First would be the throttle gears at the bottom of the steering column might be broken. They are 93 yr old pot metal that was meant to last maybe 20 years. Another cause might be the bracket that holds the gear with the arm going to the linkage might be broken not allowing the gear with the arm to move properly. Again, 93 yr old pot metal. Those would be the easy fixes. The other thing that might be the problem is the parts that are inside the center steering wheel hub, the “spyder gears” might be broken. Once again, all 93 yr old pot metal. I’d check the parts at the bottom of the steering column first! The other fix is more difficult. If you get into that, then you might as well replace the headlight lever. I make all of the old pot metal parts in bronze. Your lever can be Dremel Ed out to accept a bronze one that will screw in from the bottom of the Bakelite ring.

From your photos everything looks good with the exception of the trunk. It’s not a Cadillac trunk and it’s too small for the trunk rack. Kinda looks a bit strange. 
 I didn’t notice in your photos it’ll you have the lap robe rail attached to the back of the front seat and couldn’t see if you have the foldable foot rest below the rear seat.

I have over 100 molds for the old pot metal parts that I cast in bronze either using the investment process or have sand cast depending on the intricacies of the parts. I just sent 75 waxes to my foundry just yesterday.

You can email me with any questions at 

yachtflame@yahoo.com

Wayne Elsworth

Thanks a lot, Wayne! 

Good explanations... and it is interesting that you do some of the parts! Yes, the car has a lap robe thing, but it is missing the foot rest hardware.

I will contact you directly to find more about your parts.

Victor

On 5/3/2024 at 8:16 PM, Tom Boehm said:

Hello Victor, the Cadillac and Lasalle Club publishes an Authenticity Manual for 1927-1933 Lasalles. (class 3) They are available on the Cad/Las club website. www.cadillaclasalleclub.org. Many answers to your questions can be found there. 

I can't answer your questions. I have a 1940 Lasalle. 

Thank you, Tom! I will get one! I do have them for some other Cadillacs I have and they provide great information.