Vintage Gas Pump - looking for information

Dosmo

I recently came into possession of an old gasoline pump that may go back to the 1920s.  The AACA forum doesn't seem to have a section that is dedicated to discussion of these old relics.  

If there is a section of the forum where this topic would be more appropriate, I would appreciate being directed there.  I don't guess that I will get into the specifics of the pump until I am either directed elsewhere, or receive assurance that it is okay to get into it right here.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I think you could keep the discussion here. Other forum areas could be the memorabilia  or buy/sell sections. This is just a thought/suggestion, not a directive as I am not a moderator 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CChinn said:

I think you could keep the discussion here. Other forum areas could be the memorabilia  or buy/sell sections. This is just a thought/suggestion, not a directive as I am not a moderator 

Agree. Oil and gas items often show up in the 'Memorabilia" section, but certainly start the discussion here. Anxious to see photos. 

Terry

• Like 2

A little over ten years ago, my recently deceased uncle bought this old pump from a place near to his home in East Tennessee.  I took a few photos of it at the time.  I joined the Oldgas.com website and posted the pics on the Primarily Petroliana forum. 

It didn’t take long for some of the forum members to ID the pump as a Bowser C-110.  The guys on that particular forum say that there is a non-electric version with a manual crank, which is apparently what is pictured here.  There is also a version with a small electric motor.

So far, what we know is missing are the side panels or covers, or whatever term would fit.  I went back on that forum a day or so ago, asking if reproduction panels might be available.  Predictably, the answer appears to be no.

Not that surprising, given that there aren’t many of these particular pumps around.  I decided to post the info here to see if anyone might have any more info.  I do know that the clear cylinder is not a real one, and the advertising globe on top is a repop.

Some of the photos aren’t particularly clear – apologies in advance for that.  Thank you for your input.

Jack's Bowser Gas Pump 5.jpg

Jack's Bowser Gas Pump 4.jpg

IMG_3041.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

IMG_3028.JPG

IMG_3030.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

IMG_3033.JPG

Jack's Bowser Gas Pump 3.jpg

• Like 4

Dosmo, I don't know what additional info or help you're hoping to gain here on on the AACA forums. But, I suppose it was worth a shot.

When I read your first post, I was going to reply suggesting you join the Old Gas (Primarily Petrolina) forum. But, I see you already did that some years ago. The guys there are the old gas pump experts, just like the gang here are quite expert in the world of old cars.

It's understandable that these panels your pump is missing aren't being reproduced....no demand. If you want to get your pump back to looking more complete, it seems you'll have to take matters into your own hands. Why don't you do some research to get pictures of what a complete Bowser C-110 pump looks like, and have a metal fabricator make you the missing panels? Sure there's a cost involved, but probably worth it given the rarity of this pump. Best of luck with your project. John

• Like 3

To all who commented, many thanks.  The photos I posted years ago on the oldgas.com forum started up a decent conversation about the old pump - revisiting the same forum a few days ago about the same pump was pretty lackluster.  I was hoping today's post on the AACA forum might help me to get a read on the positives and negatives of this old relic.  

I really like this sort of stuff.  If it was a Wayne, Gilbarco, Bennett or one of the more popular names, it would be easier to know which way to go.  I don't know if one could call this particular Bowser desirable.  I'm pretty sure it is rare, but, like early 50s Mopars, rare doesn't necessarily mean it is desirable.

I guess it's a good problem to have.  Again, thanks to those who commented.

Pros, you got it. Cost wasn't much. You can spend some $ to freshen it up and have needed panels made up. Pretty nice pump and any collector would love to have one. 

Cons, repro cylinder. The acrylic cylinders don't age well outside and get cloudy and crazed over time. Of course missing panels are a downer but unless they had some embossing on them new repros would be fine and are acceptable restoration. Repro globe not a prob. You certainly would not want to risk putting an expensive original outdoors.  

Those pumps are big and heavy so hope it's happy where it is. 

For info I'd recommend looking at past auction listings. Most major auction houses have archives you can access. Some online auction firms even have extensive listings from multiple previous sales so you can find selling prices for similar examples. You may have to subscribe to those services but access to the info is a real treasure trove. Those auction listings often contain lots of info besides just a description.

Enjoy it. Post more current pics and go find more stuff.

Terry

• Like 1

"Those pumps are big and heavy so hope it's happy where it is."

This is the problem.  The property will be sold at some point - it could be as long as six months, or maybe much sooner.  The house is huge.  We've been working to get it empty.  Every nook & cranny crammed with different kinds of glassware, countless die cast models, metal wind-up toys, one other gas pump that is now at my house.

I will have to move the pump - can't leave it there.  But, my garage at home is now full to the point that the wife has lost her parking spot for the foreseeable future.  There are tons of stuff to be disposed of.

Asi eś la vida!  

Try a site called Oldgas, primarily petrolana , all about antique gas pumps and where to purchase parts. I have dealt with Scottys Garage in Iowa at www.time-pass.com.

• Like 2

Hi again, Dosmo. Yes, the helpful chat on Old Gas has certainly slowed down over the past two to three years. Some of the old gang who used to always reply to inquiries have passed away, while other have perhaps gotten tired of the flood of very basic questions from newbies who have gravitated to the old gas and oil collectibles hobby now that it's "hot". THIS LAST COMMENT WAS DEFINITELY NOT AIMED AT YOU, DOSMO.

I suggest you first need to make a decision whether or not to keep this pump in question. If you want it, then you can attack the logistics of moving and storing the pump (along with seeking a good local divorce attorney with experience in representing the male in a marriage). If you decide you don't want it, then get back on Old Gas and ask for some pricing help. Paul Bell on that forum is a very straight shooter, and will give you good advice...even if it's just him providing the names of a couple of other guys to call. I would favor him over Scott Anderson at Scotty's Garage for a number of reasons, which I won't share here. Then, I'd advertise the pump for sale on Old Gas, with a pick-up-only stipulation. The huge Iowa Gas meet will be held in Des Moines, Iowa late in July. This greatly expands YOUR market for a potential buyer, since many pump collectors and vendors from all over the Midwest, South, and East will be making their way to and from this meet in Iowa. These guys would have no problem swinging by your location to pick up a pump they were purchasing. Again, good luck to you. John

• Like 1