1923 model 34 roadster, restoration project

In Oklahoma City, but at the annual Pate Swap Meet tomorrow and Friday. 4-cylinder 1923 Buick Roadster, well worth restoring, rare and desirable body style, very few have survived. Not sure if it's worth $4000 in its current condition, but if the wood is solid and the engine is all there, this would be a nice project for someone. I have enough projects, thank you very much, but someone needs to save this car and bring it back to respectable condition.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/348210547786925?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

Posted (edited)

Wow, a downdraft carburetor conversion! Leif, very nice!  I should have done that on the one we restored last month. What carburetor are you using? And did you cut a hole in the top of the intake manifold and then weld a flange to it? I am in awe of your skills.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Pete.I have conversed many of my 1920 s Buick but I have got the old updraft carb back again on all of them just becuse it didnt help to get a lower consumtion or a better speed,I shoud not recomend to to that on any 1920s Buick.40 years ago I put a SU carburetor on my 1925 std model and I measured the consumtion and it was exakt the same as when used the updraft carb.Leif in Sweden

What about reliability?   I never understood updraft carburetors.  Yes, engines develop vacuum  it how much can a small displacement 4 cyl from 1923 develop?  With downdraft you create a more reliable set up.  Despite lacking authenticity, I like your downdraft set up.