1931 Chrysler Manifold Heater Valve

Joao46

Hi folks!

Does anyone have pictures of what a 

1931 Chrysler Imperial manifold heater control valve looks like?

My vehicle is missing it and I doubt I’ll ever find one, so I’m trying to decide if I even need it to be present. 

It is manually activated from the dash and according to the owners manual it’s only to be used in winter.

Since this car is only used in warm weather, I’ll never use it but I’d like to know how it works to determine if it still needs to be present to block exhaust from heating the carb when it’s ‘off’.

thanks !

There are a lot of pictures online of Imperial engines .  You could probably see what you are looking for.  Manifolds of this age will be brittle. You might not start on the repair unless you are having a problem.  I would think you could take the exhaust manifold apart and inspect the baffle plate.   There is a good chance it will be froze in place.    Although not a Imperial, I recently had a similar manifold  apart  made a non movable plate to block of the exhaust heat as the car was only going to be used in warm weather.   Slow and Easy is "The Word"

Thanks. Actually I removed the plate that the valve is mounted on from the manifold and it was missing. 

So that’s that. 

It looks like from the design that the valve is only used to redirect exhaust to the bottom of the intake when closed. 

When open it does not seem to do anything as it is parallel to the exhaust flow so if it’s missing there should be no effect.

Now you know the missing plate will not add heat to the engine,  This is worth the trouble.  You can add the correct cables and arm to make it look stock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joao46 said:

Thanks. Actually I removed the plate that the valve is mounted on from the manifold and it was missing. 

So that’s that. 

It looks like from the design that the valve is only used to redirect exhaust to the bottom of the intake when closed. 

When open it does not seem to do anything as it is parallel to the exhaust flow so if it’s missing there should be no effect.

Can you show a photo of what you do have so we can compare? I have a couple of Chrysler product manifolds with those valves, but I need to see if it is the same.

IMG_0676 (2).JPG

IMG_0680 (2).JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

image.jpeg.337480a0a7e1c0e01bf4d7062cbbbfcc.jpegimage.jpeg.337480a0a7e1c0e01bf4d7062cbbbfcc.jpeg1929ImperialManifold3.JPG.5f4ba6bc36c6d4b0e23fbd2a2e8b952f.JPG1929ImperialManifold2.JPG.72e028a01f35f69216a2750c6c4b70f3.JPGHere are some pictures of my 1929 Chrysler Imperial manifold that may be helpful. It's now installed and if an install picture would be useful I can take and send it. The main difference between these two manifolds is that yours is a downdraft and this is an updraft, but I believe they are essentially the same design otherwise. Hope this is helpful.

1929 Imperial Manifold 1.JPG

• Like 2