Help with removing 1930 30U roadster steering column

hursst

Hello,
  I need to remove my engine for a redo of some kind, but it's a lot more work than I thought.  My current work is trying to remove the steering column and maybe the steering box, so I can get clearance to remove the engine, since it has those wide legs on it in the back and won't clear the steering column.

I've removed the clum switch, hardware, and the throttle and headlight levers from the top of the steering wheel.  I've also unscrewed the steering column to the point where I can move it by hand now, but it won't come free from the steering box.  Obviously, there are gears in there, but I'm not sure what to do to remove the steering column.  I wanted to ask the group before I start taking the steering box apart and/or do any damage, in order to try to figure this out.

Thanks for any help!  -Chris

When I pulled the engine from my PB I didn't have to remove my column, if memory serves me well any used steering boxes I've seen for early Plymouths had the column's attached... I suspect that the steering gear worm wheel and shaft (#18 in the parts book) is full length from gear box up to the steering wheel.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Dave 

Yes, it appears to be all attached.  I guess my next question would be, how do I remove the engine, do I just unbolt it from the front of the bell housing if I don't need to remove the steering box/column?  Will the flywheel clear the bellhousing when removing the engine?  I don't have any experience in really taking this car apart, so I don't know what to expect.  Thanks!

Make sure the radiator and head lights are out. Lifr the front at an angle and have bars ready if some thing hangs up. Have a helper but go slow .2×4s to protect the fire wall. I removed about 40 Chrysler motors by my self but help is better. Make sure you have overhead room . I always remove the steering wheel 1st and ince the Pittman arm and bolts( 4 ) are out , you need to twist the box at an angle ind is a bit difficult. Tape the therads that hold the pittman arm nut..

14 hours ago, hursst said:

Yes, it appears to be all attached.  I guess my next question would be, how do I remove the engine, do I just unbolt it from the front of the bell housing if I don't need to remove the steering box/column?  Will the flywheel clear the bellhousing when removing the engine?  I don't have any experience in really taking this car apart, so I don't know what to expect.  Thanks!

Thanks for the replies, but I'm getting mixed messages here.  Some folks say I need to remove the steering box, some say I don't.   Can someone clarify this?  When I remove the engine, do I just unbolt it from the bell housing, or do I need to remove the bell housing with it, which includes the two large legs that go to the frame that hold the starter and brake master cylinder, which means I would definitely have to remove the steering box.  Thanks.

Definitely, when removing the engine-trans assembly one must remove the rad and grille, I didn't remove my headlights as there is no tybar on the PB, but the next time I will as I almost knocked one with the backend of the trans....With my PB I had no issues removing engine and trans assembly in regards to the steering box.

I'm sure engineers changed things over the 2 years between our cars.