Another of my grandfather's vehicle circa 1915-1920

S.Hosono

Hello,

This is my second inquiry about my grandfather's car in Taipei Taiwan.

My first inquiry was here and thankfully the puzzle was solved, thanks to Mr Vintman https://forums.aaca.org/topic/330142-american-in-taiwan/?fbclid=IwAR1vUHmY_RLndrTCP3F1DvVfnFHT_AqBLvDUuD_497TOjnt3n01GgiHTWqc_aem_AecBfjHqLH1CNUZ8-pSno_j2lwUzPcfXDtCeMLtyMqOUVghlef4j0xEiqkSiGm9lzrPjdJRevUHMCLlr1mSAVpDM

This time it is around 1915-1920 in Taipei, Taiwan.  It was during the Japanese colonial era so it is same as in UK, driving on the left side of the road.

Sincerely yours,

S. Hosono (Boston, USA)

11402853_1060955587266428_1312168414648425865_o.jpg

• Like 2

More specifically, it is most likely a Canadian built late 1912 Ford model T touring car.

The early 1912s (both US and Canadian built) had a "step sided" body, wherein the seats extended out farther than the body's base. About January to February 1912, the body was simplified to this style which is often referred  (technically incorrectly) to as the "slab-side" body. Earlier "slab-side" bodies however had an outside door handle on the rear doors. About June or July of 1912, the outside door handle was replaced by a cheaper inside lever to open the rear doors (this was just another step in Ford's continuing push to make model Ts more affordable).

United States built model Ts were basically ALL left-hand side driven for use in the US where cars were usually driven on the right side of the road. Most US model Ts in those years had no door next to the driver, which was a common practice at that time (a lot of reasons for that). Canadian built model Ts were built either right side driven or left side driven as Canadian provinces mostly drove on the right side of the road (with one province being driven on the left side of the road in those days), while most of the English colonies they were exported to diving on the left side of the road. Canadian production had front doors on both sides of the body so that the same body could be placed on either right hand or left hand driven chassis.

Most "Colonial" exports were Canadian built cars because the British Empire's import policies favored Canadian imports (colonial production) over US produced automobiles and other goods, and taxed them at a much better rate.

What a great photo! A neat looking car and a fine looking family.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 5